What is a good sand sifter?

fishyfun2

I have an orange spotted watchman goby and he is awesome at sifting the sand. I had diatoms all over the place until I got him. He's also fun and has a good personality. As soon as I released him in the tank, he made a cave under one of my rocks. My 3 year-old son thinks he is hilarious! He does put a little sand in the water column though, so you have to be able to put up with that I guess.

cj_build

I'm with oneradtek.
Maybe a cucumber? (I've heard good and bad, good from LFS bad from everyone else).

oneradtek

ur saying "sand sifter", as in something that goes into the sand and keeps it mixed so pockets of nitrates do not build up and such right?
Nass. snails still are the best option, and most affordable

florida joe

the best snail IMO is The Cerith snail it is a small scavenger with an elongated spiral shell that is usually black with tiny white dots covering the entire shell. One of the most ideal scavengers, detritus eaters, and algae eaters these snails are perfect for the reef aquarium, quickly devouring detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, fish waste, and several types of nuisance algae. Cerith Snails will often bury themselves in the sand, which will help maintain adequate oxygen levels in the substrate.

oneradtek

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2948624
the best snail IMO is The Cerith snail it is a small scavenger with an elongated spiral shell that is usually black with tiny white dots covering the entire shell. One of the most ideal scavengers, detritus eaters, and algae eaters these snails are perfect for the reef aquarium, quickly devouring detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, fish waste, and several types of nuisance algae. Cerith Snails will often bury themselves in the sand, which will help maintain adequate oxygen levels in the substrate.
+1 on cerith also, get a few of both species both are fun to watch