what is a sump people?

twoods71

They are also known as wet/dry filters.
Water is usually but not always gravity feed into a smaller tank (sump) below the main tank, filtered in a varity of ways and then pumped back up into the main tank.

merman

So what is the point of it? It's just another tank below your main tank? What purpose does it have? Are there filters in it?

cruzan277

Sump filters are generally used by advanced aquarists who maintain large tanks but this should not deter you from utilizing one for your show tank set up.
Sump filters, although commercially available, are usually home made. They consist of a series of containers (sumps), normally small aquariums, each of which are filled with a range of media to satisfy different filtration functions. Water is either pumped electrically, drained via hole in the base of the tank, or allowed to over flow from the aquarium into the first sump sited below the aquarium. In a similar manner, water is transferred through each sump, filtered and then electrically pumped back to the aquarium.
The sump filter provides many advantages. Firstly its size is only restricted by the space available under the aquarium thus the filter can have a vast capacity and require less maintenance. Secondly the filter media can be tailored exactly to ones specific requirements. One may choose to have a course mechanical pre-filter, a finer grade secondary mechanical filter, a section containing ceramic rings for biological functions or water polishing and a chemical section to alter pH or hardness. Many aquarists also use one sump to house the aquarium heaters or aeration devices thus removing any unnatural objects from the tank or even utilise this sump as an additional grow on tank for fry. Other aquarists I know even harvest algae in one sump to help reduce nitrates.
The fact that sump filters are large and remote form the tank allows the aquarist to perform all filter maintenance without disturbing the tank. Entire sections of the mechanical filtration can be also cleaned at one time without affecting biological colonization. Additionally, because the water level in the sump can be controlled, water changes can be performed over a longer period of time without causing stress to the fish.
Just a little info I found online..Hope this helps...

merman

Thanks so much for that info. I have a 29g reef. I got an extra 10g glass tank I don't use. And also an overflow box. That would probably work for building a sump..? I'll look online for blueprints/diagrams on how to build one. Anyone know of any directions online? I'd like to get a picture of what this is.
Thanks

mo-mo

Hey there was a person on ---- selling bluprints for 4:00 dollars. I went ahead and bought one. I am suppose to receive it tommorrow and I will scan and email it to you or tell you. my email address is ozzwego@yahoo.com She has a 160g and her pics were exceptionally clear. It says make one for under 40 dollars. Good Luck. :D

wamp

Another advantage is falling water collects Oxygen and Cools at the same time!
Sumps are Great
Never leave home without them

javajoe

Originally posted by Mo-Mo:
<STRONG>Hey there was a person on ---- selling bluprints for 4:00 dollars. I went ahead and bought one. I am suppose to receive it tommorrow and I will scan and email it to you or tell you. my email address is ozzwego@yahoo.com She has a 160g and her pics were exceptionally clear. It says make one for under 40 dollars. Good Luck. :D</STRONG>
I just sent you an email- please send me a copy too if you don't mind...
thanks...
Joe

von_rahvin

i have a couple of tanks and i have designed a few for friends. sumps if oyu have the money are great.
it allows you to keep a constant water level in you main tank. and you do not have an ugly stuff in the veiw
I keep my skimmers in my sumps. also it allows me to allalimate fish in the dark so they do not get stressed.
another thing about sumps it it allows you to build a refugium. these things are great. it gives the macro algea a place to live so it does not gorw as much in your main tank.
i set up a 30 gall reef for a friend and use a 10 gallon as a sump. the tank has been running for 4 months now and is working great