what is bleaching?

im wondering what bleaching is because my toadstool is turning a lot lighter.
what is it? how does it happen? what corals does it affect? Thanks

rcdude1990

im a newb to corals but im gettin there
i heard bleaching is wen the coral is loosing its color and turns white, which means get ready to plan a funeral if u catch my drift
it effects all corals since it means its dying
how long have u had the toadstool?
i jus bought one last week and its doing great

i have had mine about a week as well. it just has gone from a brownish yellow to a almost bright yellow. my parameters are always good and all of its tenacles are out so i hope it is not taking a turn for the worse. But i am still wondering what causes or what are the main cuases of bleaching??

reefkprz

bleaching is when a coral (for many possible reasons) expells its zooxanthellae (symbiotic algae) or the zooxantellae die off. many things can cause this, such as too much light suddenly (light shock) too little light for too long, disease, sudden drop in temperature. if the problem is identified and corrected quickly a coral has a good chance at recovery.

reefkprz

what type of leather is it because there are several types of leather that are bright yellow when healthy.

i have a 192 pc strip and the coral is on top of my LR and in medium flow. maybe i should lower it down to middle ground. ??

puffer32

It looks healthy to me. Some times when they expand they take on a lighter color. Yours looks fine, it probably wasn't fully open until now.