What is Chaeto algae?

geneohio

Chaetomorpha algae is one of the best macro-algaes for use in the saltwater aquarium. This algae should be used in the refugium to reduce nitrates in the tank.It is easy to use, once it grows to a significant amount, it can be easily removed and disposed of or shared with other aquarist. Unlike Caulerpa species of macro-algae it will not undergo sexual reproduction and release the nitrates back into the system causing a sudden crash.
Chaetomorpha also will not adhere to rocks making it easy to remove.

shyfish

Hi,
I had a hair algea problem. I bought lots of algea eating critters. I no longer have the algea problem. Could I use this stuff to feed my now hungry critters?
I put some Caulerpa in my tank, it was gone in about an hour. I don't have a refugium. The books I read say a refugium is to let things grow undisturbed and I didn't think I needed something like that.
Any thoughts?

florida joe

Unlike Caulerpa species of macro-algae it will not undergo sexual reproduction and release the nitrates back into the system causing a sudden crash.
This is the kind of blanket information that IMO should not be given. As always I am open to debate

florida joe

Unlike Caulerpa species of macro-algae it will not undergo sexual reproduction and release the nitrates back into the system causing a sudden crash.
This is the kind of blanket information that IMO should not be given. As always I am open to debate

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by geneohio
http:///forum/post/2946045
Chaetomorpha algae is one of the best macro-algaes for use in the saltwater aquarium. This algae should be used in the refugium to reduce nitrates in the tank.It is easy to use, once it grows to a significant amount, it can be easily removed and disposed of or shared with other aquarist. Unlike Caulerpa species of macro-algae it will not undergo sexual reproduction and release the nitrates back into the system causing a sudden crash.
Chaetomorpha also will not adhere to rocks making it easy to remove.
Wow, very general information. Great job! Chaeto isn't the best algae to reduce nitrates, but it is arguably the safest to use. If you want something that will help extremely well, get Caulerpa Mexicana or Prolifera (i've heard prolifera is the best, but I've never used it) Caulerpa can go sexual, but as long as you have a way to shut off your refugium just incase it does, you have nothing to worry about.
Originally Posted by Everest
http:///forum/post/2946056
thanks for that info... but what is a refugium?
A refugium is a seperate container of water that is tied into your system. It's sole purpose is to reduce nitrates and phosphates by growing macroalgae.
I hate to say that it's a separate aquarium, because you can also use rubbermaid tubs, bins, basically anything that can hold water. Just buy a nice clip on light from wal-mart and go. :D
Originally Posted by florida joe

http:///forum/post/2946145
agreed.

everest

Thanks for the great info
. I've heard you can make a refugium in the back part of the biocube and the aquapod etc, but how do you do it?
thanks again!

florida joe

It's sole purpose is to reduce nitrates and phosphates by growing macroalgae.
ummmm not even close to being correct

Ok I will rephrase so as not to seem condescending, but I am sure my friend snake did not take it that way
A refug can be used to raise copepods and place corals under observation. Also a place to put new fish after QT if the refug is in tank and large enough, so the other tank mates can get use to its presents. I have also seen in tank refuges used as a safe haven for fish that are recovering from being bullied or that have been dipped for medical reasons

snakeblitz33

HAH, ok, lets go into more detail then, shall we?
Macroalgae reduces nitrates and phosphates in the refugium. Also, it adds more water volume to the system, and by alternating your photoperiod, it can keep the pH stable around the clock. It also creates a refuge for all sorts of critters like copepods, amphipods and spaghetti worms. It's also a way that you can add a remote deep sand bed to your system.
You trying to show me up, Joe?
I just don't like to type a lot. heh.

bdhb12

Originally Posted by Everest
http:///forum/post/2946182
Thanks for the great info
. I've heard you can make a refugium in the back part of the biocube and the aquapod etc, but how do you do it?
thanks again!

Look in the nano section, Nissan, Myself, and others (horrible with names) Have done just that, Have a look around in there.