what is cynobacteria?

geridoc

Cyanobacteria are single cell organisms tha are able to carry out photosynthesis. Since they lack nuclear membranes, they are properly considered to be bacteria, and not algae. In marine tanks, especially early in the development of a tank, they appear as a red slime that may grow to cover rocks, glass, substrate, and even organisms like gorgonia. They do not grow well if there is little organic matter in the water, or little phosphate, or if there is a good water current. They can be eliminated from a tank by scraping, improved water quality and good water movement. As a last resort, it is possible to add certain antibiotics that will kill them, but if water conditions are not improved they will just grow back.

cjml

Cyano bacteria is a very interesting organism - has been around for a long time! Does have some good qualities! Research google to learn more...I think that too many nutrients in the water help it grow in our tanks. I scrape it off the rocks when I see it- dark green or dark purple. If you feed alot(like I do) it will grow. Frequent water changes help to eliminate it. :happyfish :happyfish

anonome

Cyano bacteria is always called an algae, but actually it is a bacteria that thrives on low current, high lighting, high dissolved organics. Phosphates in your tank will fuel it also.

aztec reef

cyanobacteria is an algea but not a "true" algea. is a combination of algea and bacteria hence the name CYANOBACTERIA.

aztec reef

no not really, it should go away soon as long as you have planty of flow and keep doing water changes(and syphon some of that algea) also having a good cleaning crew will help..

reefchick15

ok, i am wondering something about cyanobacteria myself, can it be harmful to some fish (i have a lot in my tank-covers about 50 to 75% of my tank)? Or do you think it's all in my head and it was my blue damsel(he is very aggressive) that caused 2 of my fish to die. all of my parameters are good, i check them regularly.

sltwtrfan

wow, covering some fish? that can't be good. you should think about controlling that stuff real soon. cut back your light and feeding. water changes. i use a reg. old turkey baster that i bought strictly for my tank to blow that stuff off the rock and anywhere else. I do my best possible not to disturb to much at a time.... seems to be working good though.

reefchick15

Originally Posted by Sltwtrfan
wow, covering some fish? that can't be good. you should think about controlling that stuff real soon. cut back your light and feeding. water changes. i use a reg. old turkey baster that i bought strictly for my tank to blow that stuff off the rock and anywhere else. I do my best possible not to disturb to much at a time.... seems to be working good though.
yes, i am starting to do something about it...it is going down now that i have increaced my water flow, but what do you think about my fish dying? oh...and it doesnt cover my fish, just my rock & sand mostly.

sltwtrfan

i know. i misread that part. I'm not an expert seeing that i have problems with it and I just found out about it... but as long as you are taking action (meaning maintenance everyday for me), i believe it is relatively easy to clear up. As for your fish, maybe because you have so much, i'm not sure.