What is eating up my DKH and Calcium?

cam78

I use Tropic Marin, when I tested the mixed water before put into my DT it reads DKH 10 and Calcium 400. When I test my water the DKH is ALWAYS low (around 6) and calicum around 350-360. Should I be using a supplement? I do water changes every week and my levels are always around there. I know coral line and coral eat up the calcium but whats up with the PH and DKH always being low?

zanclus

corals use up ALK as well as calcium also if you have excessive CO2 ur ph will be low as well as ur alk. are you running a calcium reactor or using supplements to maintain levels?

scrapman

How big is your tank?
I have a 90 gal (LR/LS).... I systemicaly replace the evaporated water (no glass top) with a Kalkwasser solution dripped at night....
It works....

trippkid

I'd maybe try a two part calcium additive, to raise both the alk and calcium. If you still can't maintain proper levels, I'd say to try some larger water changes, the water may be out of wack slightly as far as other minerals and trace elements, not allowing you to maintain better levels,IMO. Try a 2 part system and test and see if it helps first, your tank may be using this stuff up.
Matt

michaud65

I also use Tropic Marin and am having the same exact problem with the same readings that you get. I just bought some Instant Ocean Reef crystals and I am going to try that to see if there is any difference. I also do water changes once a week and can't seem to boost it up. Good luck!

cam78

Originally Posted by scrapman
How big is your tank?
I have a 90 gal (LR/LS).... I systemicaly replace the evaporated water (no glass top) with a Kalkwasser solution dripped at night....
It works....
My tank is a 46 Bow and I just yesterday took off my glass top to see if that helps. So I understand what you are saying....All your evaportaed water you lose each day, you drip Kalkwasser in at night to make up the diffrence? Thats OK to do? Thats a lot of water you are putting in a day right?

cam78

Originally Posted by trippkid
I'd maybe try a two part calcium additive, to raise both the alk and calcium. If you still can't maintain proper levels, I'd say to try some larger water changes, the water may be out of wack slightly as far as other minerals and trace elements, not allowing you to maintain better levels,IMO. Try a 2 part system and test and see if it helps first, your tank may be using this stuff up.
Matt
Sorry for the dumb question but what is a 2 part calcium additive? Is it 2 chemicals in one? Calcium and KH in one?

michaeltx

yes that will work just be sure to let the water settle out before you drip it and test it so the levels dont get to high. experiment a bit with it some drip every other day and see if the levels stay right if the continue to rise go with every 3 days till you get the right amount going into the tank.
Mike

cam78

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
yes that will work just be sure to let the water settle out before you drip it and test it so the levels dont get to high. experiment a bit with it some drip every other day and see if the levels stay right if the continue to rise go with every 3 days till you get the right amount going into the tank.
Mike
Which one will work? The Kalk drip or the 2 part thing?

trippkid

Originally Posted by CAM78
Sorry for the dumb question but what is a 2 part calcium additive? Is it 2 chemicals in one? Calcium and KH in one?
One is the calcium(which contains calcium compounds) and the other is the Alk buffer(contains buffered compounds), when used correctly, should balance the Alk and Calcium where you want it. C-Balance, Kent Tech CB, ESV Bionic are some of the 2 part systems. The Kalkwasser will do exactly the same thing if that is easier for you, is more of a hassle for me. I lose about 2.5gal from evap daily, and just use C-balance and Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium to maintain my levels, along with weekly water changes. Hope this gives some help
Matt

cam78

Thanks for the reply, I will read up on all this stuff and see what is best for me. Thanks

michaeltx

I have used both and have worked for me. it really depends on how much time you have the kalk is cheaper and takes more time the 2 part is cheaper and takes a lot less time.
Mike