What Is Everyone's Favorite Background???

1guydude

mine has 2 sides. one black and one deep blue. I like the blue better. Makes it look more oceany...

raptor72

Definitely foam. Not only nice to look at but also functional. I've had mine for a couple of months and the coraline algae is starting to grow on it. I also have shelves on it that were put in place that will serve as spots to place frags in the future.

E

eric b 125

i like a good old fashion black background. the foam walls are cool and all, but i think a lot of them look tacky. i've seen some real nice looking tanks with the walls, dont get me wrong, but more often than not they look weird to me. just my opinion, though. a lot of people dig on them.

nikesb

foam walls take up too much space in my opinion and if you get a green hair algae outbreak, its a nightmare.
i like no background if you can hide all the wires. black if you cant hide the wires

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/384791/what-is-everyone-s-favorite-background#post_3372506
hmmm intrested is their a thread on this???

Search on this site...Foamback Project 101

With the right cleaning crew, and proper water changes. Hair algae should never become a nightmare. In tight space is exactly when a foamrock wall makes sence. That way you won't need as much live rock piled on the base of the tank, giving the fish more room to swim. Not to mention lots of little cliffs for corals all along the wall.
It's always a personal choice. Painted, a picture pasted on the back...it all looks 100% better than no background at all where you can see the wall behind the tank.

btldreef

I prefer each one differently, it depends on the purpose of the tank (I know, not what you wanted to hear, lol).
Blue looks great in a fish only. Black looks great in a reef. Foam rock walls, when done right, look really nice in Fish only, when you want it to look a little more natural, and not just like another boring fish tank. They also look great in seahorse tanks. I've seen a couple really nice reef tanks that are aquasquaped with three islands of rock work and in between the islands is the foam rock wall, they look awesome. Most of the time, I prefer just plain black for a reef, but if the foam wall is done correctly and doesn't take away too much space, they look really nice.