What is going on w/my Zoos??!!

azfishgal

OK, I've had these Zoos almost from the start of my tank and I started off with like 5 polyps so I'm excited how much they gave grown. However a few days ago I noticed some polyps closed up. I didn't really think much of it at first because I know they do that when eating or if something hit it. But they have not opened up and now it seems to be spreading. I can remove this rock with no problem if I need to dip it in something but any idea what it is or what I can do to stop it!!!

yosemite sam

Doesn't really look like zoa pox. Have you added anything lately? Have you checked for nudis and sundial snails?

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
Doesn't really look like zoa pox. Have you added anything lately? Have you checked for nudis and sundial snails?
Well I don't have any sundial snails (that I've seen) and I can't see any nudis. I keep looking to see if anything is eating them. The only thing I've added to the DT was a monti cap and an acro frag about a month ago, but they are on the other side of my tank (6' tank) and all my other zoos and corals are doing great.

A couple of months back I had my green zoos that seem to be doing this same thing, almost melting away. I took them out when I had only two polyps left and put them in my QT for a few days. I put them back in my DT and I now have 4 polyps and they seem fine. If I start seeing these "melt" away then I'll take the rock out and dip it in seltzer water in case I do have nudis and then keep in QT for a few days. Hopefully I won't lose to many.
Anyone have any other ideas?

azfishgal

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
I agree, I dont see any pox. a fresh water dip might help. could be bacterial.

Thanks for jumping in here. I was wondering if it was pox but like you said I don't see any spots.

teen

same thing happened to me. they just close up, but are still physically there. i threw out my colony of radioactive dragon eyes. my blowpop zoas slowly turned to black goo, and now my fireball zoas are doing the same. palys seem to be unaffected. i tried freshwater dips, iodine dips. nothing worked. i even let them dry out a bit under a light for about 20 mins, hoping whatever was on them would die off before the zoas did. this didnt work either.

teresaq

Originally Posted by teen
same thing happened to me. they just close up, but are still physically there. i threw out my colony of radioactive dragon eyes. my blowpop zoas slowly turned to black goo, and now my fireball zoas are doing the same. palys seem to be unaffected. i tried freshwater dips, iodine dips. nothing worked. i even let them dry out a bit under a light for about 20 mins, hoping whatever was on them would die off before the zoas did. this didnt work either.
Yu may have bacterial infection, and may need to treat in qt with furan-2

teresaq

Originally Posted by BoneSnapper
How long do I "dip" them?
for fresh water dip, I usually just get a small bucket of RO, and just swish them around for a few min. really give them a good shake and see what falls off.

teen

nah, all my zoas are pretty much gone. ill just let this thing run its course, go zoaless for a month of two and hopefully i can introduce new ones and whatever was in there will have died off.

bonesnapper

At my LFS they had a rock with 100+ Zoos on it. They wanted $50 for it. That is a steal! My friend bought it, we are going to frag it.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by BoneSnapper
Ok, will try tomorrow.
I use seltzer water. Doesn't hurt the zoas and the worms will shoot out like a rocket if you have them. I leave the zoas in the seltzer water for about 30 seconds and then shake under water just to make sure. The zoas will be mad for a little bit, but IME they always open up again and do great.

bonesnapper

Wow, thats a great deal. what color are they?? Good Luck
They are super colored blue, with an orange eye.

bonesnapper

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I use seltzer water. Doesn't hurt the zoas and the worms will shoot out like a rocket if you have them. I leave the zoas in the seltzer water for about 30 seconds and then shake under water just to make sure. The zoas will be mad for a little bit, but IME they always open up again and do great.
I have sparkling water in my fridge. I will try tomorrow.

azfishgal

Yu may have bacterial infection, and may need to treat in qt with furan-2
The only problem with that is my QT is filled with baby bangaii cardinals.
So I can only do a freshwater or selter dip and then let it sit in the QT to see what happens. I'll give it a few more days in the DT to see what happens but if one more polyp starts to go I'll do a dip and then put in QT. I just hope I don't lose these polyps. They are large and one of my favorites!