What is happening to my coral? Is it dying?

burrito010101

I have attached a pic. I noticed a small tip that had turned into a marshmallow like consistency last night. Today it has quadrupled in size. What could this be?

spanko

If there are still polyps, and it looks like there are from the picture, the coral is bleaching. Some type of lighting change going on here most likely.

katsafados

Maybe you need new bulbs, when was the last time you changed them? Also are your parameters good, and have you moved your powerhead at all?

nikesb

its STN. i can see the flesh coming off, something is causing it. what is your nitrates and phosphates

flower

Just tossing out an idea...it could be that it is being stung, From the picture it looks like the Xenia is crowding it. Move the coral and run carbon is what I would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382447/what-is-happening-to-my-coral-is-it-dying#post_3339488

Just tossing out an idea...it could be that it is being stung, From the picture it looks like the Xenia is crowding it. Move the coral and run carbon is what I would do.
+++1
It looks like it definitely being stung due to it being overcrowded by xenia or perhaps something else. This is a common problem. If that's the case, relocate your coral to a more open location. If it was stung, give it time and it will most likely heal.
Good luck