What is it? hair blowing bubbles

neoreef

My gravel, which I think is crushed coral (LFS recommendation), is growing some brownish pink hair that seems to be generating bubbles of some sort.
The bubbles cling to the tips of the hair, then rise to the water's surface if disturbed.
Anyone know what's going on? This is new to my tank...
Kathy

frogz

sounds like an algae bloom probably diatoms the bubbles you see are the oxygen the plants are putting off . i had the same thing in my newly cycled tank cleanup crew wiped it out

elfdoctors

Agreed - Oxygen bubbles. To prove it these should not be there when you first turn your lights on in the morning.

neoreef

Thanks, I have a scooter blenny and a sally lightfoot and 2 cleaner shrimp. Do I need snails?
Could be algae bloom. recently I updated to actinic 03s from the blue bulbs that came with my JBJ PC lights, got rid of the glass tank covers, and had an inadvertant turn off of my protein skimmer.
Do I need snails, or will this go away?
Thanks,
Kathy

frogz

get some mexican turbos they will take care of the algae and some crabs wouldnt hurt get a few now and you can add more as needed i have a 72 gallon and 12 mexican turbos too care of my algae in a week