What is it?

wattsupdoc

This morning when I got up shortly after the lights came on I noticed thid thing slithering down my glass. It was small, about 1/8 of an inch and looked like an ameoba(i hope thats spelled right).m It had a long white part that appeared forked on the potrion that was to the back of it and a tiny yellow dot in the center?????? It kinda slid down the glass and then started kinda fluttering around through the water to disappear before I could get a pic of it. Any ideas? I couldnt find anything like it in the hitchiker id's.
Thanx!
Charlie

dischirm

If you have fish only, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you are doing reef, then check into it better. some can be a problem with corals.

wattsupdoc

I doo have a lot of copepods. But as my tank is new i will be going reef.So what should I do? find something that will eat it? I dont mind the pods so much but dont want a problem when I start adding other stuff. BTW I noticed I have a small red zoo hitchiker on one of my LR's woohoo!

celacanthr

I wouldn't worry about getting rid of them, but if you must then just siphon htem out every time you see one during a WC.

timo

Whatever the situation, if the flatties are successful, they'll eat all the available pods and the population will eventually die from starvation, succeeded most likely by the resurgance of pods.
Just a various occourance in the home tank... the explosion of one population that ends when it exhausts it's resourses, only tobe followed by a resurgance of the prey, doing well due to it's own foodstuffs being in full supply after not being predated itself.
Just a thought.
TimO

moby

Whatever the situation, if the flatties are successful, they'll eat all the available pods and the population will eventually die from starvation, succeeded most likely by the resurgance of pods.
Just a various occourance in the home tank... the explosion of one population that ends when it exhausts it's resourses, only tobe followed by a resurgance of the prey, doing well due to it's own foodstuffs being in full supply after not being predated itself.
Just a thought.
TimO
Well said TimO!
This is true for a lot of other things as well, cyano bacteria, even algea! Sometimes the best advice is to let certain things run their course. Often we think we must intervene( with all sorts of chemicals or wonder drugs) when really time and letting things run their course will be your best bet.
Moby

celacanthr

Originally Posted by TimO
Just a thought.
TimO
Is it not also possible that the pod levels drop low enough that the flatworm's population drops, but doesn't die. Then while the pod population rises again, the flatworm population rises and rises, until it doesn't have enough pods to sustain it, so it again drops. The pod population then rises again... etc etc, so on and so forth.
:happyfish

moby

Is it not also possible that the pod levels drop low enough that the flatworm's population drops, but doesn't die. Then while the pod population rises again, the flatworm population rises and rises, until it doesn't have enough pods to sustain it, so it again drops. The pod population then rises again... etc etc, so on and so forth.
Good lawd! Wasn't this an episode on the twilite zone or something!?!

My head hurts, I gettin some coffee.
Moby