What is it????

yelllowtang

I just bought a Yellow Tang and have had him for about 2 weeks. The stupid thing I did was that I put him right into the main tank without q/t. keep in mind i'm new at this.This is the first salt water tank I have ever set up and it's a 29 gallon all glass tank. Well anyway 2 days ago I noticed
some black stuff on the tips of his lower fins and I don't know what it is. So can anybody help me and tell me what it is. I called my lfs and they didn't know what to tell me they said I would have to bring the fish to them so they can look at it. But I thought I would just post a message here and hope to get some responses. Well anyway Thanks to anybody who has some info. :eek: ??

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: yelllowtang ]

gobylover

It is probably black ick or possibly fin rot.I had a tang that was diagnosed with fin rot with the same description as you gave.Also,I hope you plan to upgrade your tank soon.A 29 gallon is too small for a yelloe tang.They need lots of room to swim.What are you feeding it?If you have a quarantine tank,you should have used it.Use it for every new fish.What else do you have in your tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think we need a bit more detail in the description. Black "stuff" doesn't tell us much.

yelllowtang

Its just that the tips of the lower fins are plain black just on the tips though and I know that's not normal. and to answer the other question the other fish I have in my tank are:7 damsels which I plan to get rid of soon because they are too mean. and I have 1 percula clown 2 scooter blennies and 1 coral beauty. And I do plan to upgrade to a 55 gallon tank very soon. ;)

yelllowtang

I know now that I look at it it sounds really bad doesnt it?
I shouldn't of got that many fish.
But the reason I did was I didn't know I could only have a few fish in a 29 gallon tank.
Before I started my tank I would go down to my lfs and ask info. So I would know how to start one. And the guy at my lfs never told me I couldn't have that many fish in a 29 gallong tank. In fact now that I think of it before I made up my mind about having a 29 gallon I was thinking of only a 10 gallon and the guy told me I could have 4 fish in a 10 gallon. And so I thought If I could have 4 fish in a 10 gallon that I could have 4 fish for every 10 gallons and so if I got a 29 gallon I could have 12 fish. But now that I have talked to you guys I have learned differnt. and now I think that the guy at my lfs has lost his mind for telling I could have 4 fish in just a 10 gallon. I just got off the phone a few minutes ago with another FS and they told me I had to have 5 gallons of water for every inch of fish. I should have got info from them in the beginning and not from my lfs the other FS also told me I was wayyy over crowded with fish so now i know and I plan to give some of the fish back to my lfs If they will take them back.
Anyway's thank's for the great info :p