what is it?

jb1

what arre these two things on my live rock.
also does it look like the beginnings of hair algae on the rock.

aarone

one looks to be aptasia (the one on the left)
The other looks to be a small feather duster (on the right)
The duster is good to have, its just a type of worm.
The aptasia you want to get rid of. Search the board for proper ways to rid your tank of aptasia. I reccomend the kalkwasser paste method.

jb1

should i take the rock out and scrub the hair algae off, it is the only rock with it on it
i should get rid of the aptaisa right?
what is the best way to do it.

aarone

make a paste of kalkwasser and tank water, suck into a small dosing syringe. Inject it just in front of the aptasia. It will grab the substance (thinking it is food) and it will poison itself.

aarone

stings fish and corals, and it is ugly to boot. They reproduce fast, so dont try to tear it off or cut it off.

legend

why are aptaisa so bad? I have one in my tank right now by my xenia coral. Has anyone ever tried tweezering them out? I have a pair of plastic tweezers that i may try to pinch it off.

michaeltx

the multiple at astonding rates to a point where you cant sount them in a few months.tweezers are a really bad idea they are like shrooms ANY little piece of it left or might float away will start a new apistia and spread even more quickly. a strong kalk past and bioling water is the best that I have used on them.
they will fight anything in the area that they want, some corals can stand there ground with them but most will only last a little while.
but yeah
1st pic hair algae
2nd apisitia ot close relative
3rd fether worm of some sort.
Mike