What is my Bubble Anemone doing?

barchtruong

hello,
I just bought a big Bubble Anemone yesterday and it shrunk down to almost nothing when my full spectrum lighting sys was up. Then at night, it bloomed big. This afternoon, it did the same thing. I have to turn the whole light sys off now to get it open back up. I thought it's a gonner earlier because it was like melting down to literally nothing. Could someone give me so insights how to keep it happy, please. I don't think I can move it anywhere cuz it anchored really well into the rock, I mean deep in to the split of the rock.
Thank you for all your comments.

jeanheckle

I would post under the clown and anemone threads, I know you are correct that you can't move it once it's anchored.

aztec reef

you can decrease lighting periods, to half time..
Eventhough anenomes require good lighting, they first have to addapt to it>
It probably came from a less intense lighting system when u bought it. you're gonna have to light acclimate it. In addition to keeping good water chemistry>

barchtruong

thank you much.
yeah, I think the anemone needs time to adjust to my 560w light. I can't move it anywhere and it made itself at home right at the center of the MH. I prolly get it an umbrella so it can stay in shade for awhile

but will it die if the light is too intense like that?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by barchtruong
http:///forum/post/2792331
thank you much.
yeah, I think the anemone needs time to adjust to my 560w light. I can't move it anywhere and it made itself at home right at the center of the MH. I prolly get it an umbrella so it can stay in shade for awhile

but will it die if the light is too intense like that?
It will adapt in time... just reduce your photo period for a couple of weeks.

aztec reef

Yes they will die if their appearance doesn't improve. they"ll start bleaching(loosing color pigments). due to buildup of toxic superoxide radicals in their tissue as a result of photosynthesis when given strong illumination..But eventually will adapt>>

errattiq

How are your nitrates? They are really sensitive to even a tiny bit of them. I had a BTA literally do the same thing as you described, blossom round at night but shrivel during the day, and it died a week later....No clue why, just melted on me.....

shrimpi

put some eggcrate over the top of the tank or something to help diffuse the light.. even if its just right over the spot where the anemone is.
I recently got a bleached anemone and he was in the back of the tank in the rocks for like almost three months. (I was still feeding him back there though.. SMALL pieces of food).
Just in the last two weeks he has migrated more into the light and my maroon has started to host last weekend(just looked over at the tank and the clown was all up in my anemone!)
It takes alot of time for a sick anemone to get comfortable with GOOD conditions.. its weird.
Do you have a pic of your nem? is it bleached? hopefully its healthy, just not used to your light.. but I would def. cover it up a little with some screen/eggcrate over the top of the tank to diffuse the light.
Hope this helps.
Jess

barchtruong

well, for those of you who'd like to follow up about my BTA.
I am very sad to inform you that my BTA was killed. I won't blame my 2 clowns completely, but they take partial responsibility for this case of murder. I have to orange with stripes clowns and they love anemones so much that they kept digging dddddeeeeeppp in any anemones that I added in the tank. They not only want to enjoy the softness of the anemones, they drilled deep into the anem mouth to find food...and I don't know why...so don't ask me.

I've heard clowns feed anem, but mine are crazy..steal food from my corals and anem.
But anyway, poor thing couldn't make it throu all the abuse and died this morning. I could only manage to pull 70 of the dead body out. 30% is still stuck in the crevice so I don't know what to do....urgh....I have a bad day to day....sorry

oceanlover

Originally Posted by barchtruong
http:///forum/post/2795444
I am very sad to inform you that my BTA was killed. I won't blame my 2 clowns completely, but they take partial responsibility for this case of murder.
Sorry about your loss.

My percula clowns are also very hard on their anemones. The clowns were on my original anemone constantly and it started to look pretty awful. I took it out and put it in my refugium so it could rest and get healthy again. Then the clowns terrorized my torch coral and a gonipora.
Now I have three larger anemones in my aquarium. The clowns visit all three anemone every day. But no anemone gets 24 X 7 attention anymore. It works for my clowns.
My girlfriend kept losing her anemones to her over attentive clowns. She bought a flexible plastic anemone ( a fake aqaurium decoration) and her 2 clowns moved into it and have been happy loving it to death for two years now.

bravanc

sorry about your loss.fit
eventually the anenome would have moved if it didn't like too much light. I have a pair of Maroon clowns and the big female would tug on the tenticles and eventually rip some off. She was just fitting the anenome to her.
i would try and get more of the anenome out or remove the rock it was in so that you don't contaminate the rest of you tank. do what others have suggested and slowy acclimate the anenome to the intense light.