miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by hrheyne
What is the cost?
Thanks
Heather
Reverse Osmosis, they should sell it at your LFS, "local fish store"

H

hrheyne

I read the bottle of distilled water at walmart and it said something about R/O is that what I need? sorry if these are dumb questions lol I'm still learning
Thanks

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by hrheyne
I read the bottle of distilled water at walmart and it said something about R/O is that what I need? sorry if these are dumb questions lol I'm still learning
Thanks
You can use the distilled but its really expensive.. get it cheaper from you lfs or better yet get a home self use one for cheap at the big A uction site.. it will come out cheaper in the long run... The only stupid question is the one not asked!

dammar

my LFS doesn't carry it "no point wasting floor space when you can buy it at any local gas station" those big 5 gal refillable jugs you can get just about anywhere. most supermarkets have the refill stations out front.

karenm

Plain RO water costs me about .60 per gallon (in Austin, TX) from a local LFS. I have 3 gal bottles because they're easier for me to handle. I usually buy about 6 gal of premixed saltwater from that same LFS for water changes every 2 weeks ($1 per gal), and about 15 gallons of plain RO water to top off between changes. I have a 40 gal with a fan on it, so it evaporates about 1 gal per day. It all adds up to around $30 per month. I'm going to take everyone's advice and buy my own RO unit because it's just more convenient.

mr. green

Originally Posted by KarenM
Plain RO water costs me about .60 per gallon (in Austin, TX) from a local LFS. I have 3 gal bottles because they're easier for me to handle. I usually buy about 6 gal of premixed saltwater from that same LFS for water changes every 2 weeks ($1 per gal), and about 15 gallons of plain RO water to top off between changes. I have a 40 gal with a fan on it, so it evaporates about 1 gal per day. It all adds up to around $30 per month. I'm going to take everyone's advice and buy my own RO unit because it's just more convenient.
At $30/month, the home RO/DI unit will have a Return on Investment in about 7 months, which included any future membrane changes. Of course this is unit cost and not water costs.

karenm

That's why I'm giving in and buying an RO unit. At first I figured at 4-6 gal every 2 weeks, it wouldn't be a problem. Then I had a nitrate problem and had to do a few big daily changes, then added the fan and needed a gal of RO a day. And of course every time I go in the LFS, I end up buying a lot more than water.
Everyone told me, and I didn't listen. Of course I never planned on being such a serious addict so soon.

jacha66

You guys get RO cheap up here in NY I pay between .75 and $1.00 per gallon at my LFS. I just saw an RO unit on sale at Sears for $99.00 I think and am grabbing one tonight.