What is RO water??

carorella88

WHat is RO water? Also, Is distilled water from the grocery store ok, is there anything specific it needs to have / not have??

dsa_mom

RO is reverse osmosis, a method of filtration. Around here distilled is about 58 cents a gallon (the cheapest) but RO is more like 39 cents. I'm not sure if distilled is considered pure enough, maybe someone else can field that one.

ruaround

RO (reverse osmosis) is a water filtration process in which the water is forced through a membrane taking out most impurities i.e. lead, copper,phosphates, etc. etc.
Distilled is a process in which the water is boiles and the water that turns into steam is then collected.
They both have their pluses and minuses. You should be careful when using distilled water, because most distilleries use copper tubing and there is a good chance you may get some copper in the water.
With RO most everything is taken out of the water so you need to be sure that you add trace elements and check the pH...most times RO water has a low pH.

beattyr

Let me add a little more to this...
RO water is highly filtered water. Depending on where you get it will depend on how filtered. At the hospital I work at, it is run through several filters, then through a large UV sterilizer, into the filtering membranes. The water is forced through the membranes separating a good deal of the water and all of the impurities out of the water. Its a rather wasteful method, though considered the best way for pure water, as you have a ratio of something like 4gal to 1gal of RO water. It is what is used with Dialysis patients in a hospital among other things. Out of the tap here at the hospital it has a fairly low ph (at least 6.5 if not lower)
Rob