What Is Ro

rsedatec

I Really Would Like To Know What Ro Is . I Buy Bottled Water For My Tank Like Poland Springs And Mix It With Salt. I Have A 120 Gal Tank And Do 10% Water Changes Weekly.

speg

RO = Reverse Osmosis.. like the cleanest water known to man (or woman)! Usually you can find this stuff for 80-99 cents per gallon (with salt already added!).. what you paying for the stuff you're using?

speg

With the right RO set up and add-ons water can be cleaned to the point of being 99.9% pure.

rsedatec

I Pay About 1$ A Gal I Was Thinking Of Getting A Ro Set Up. Is It Very Expensive . Is It A Lot Of Work And How Hard Is It To Do. And Do You Have To Add Salt After You Make Your Own Ro

speg

The RO unit hooks up around a sink of yours and depending on how much $$ you wanna dish out you can get different GPD (gallons per day) units. Obviously if you have a 120 gallon tank you'll want a unit that can do at least 12 gallons per day so that you can do your 10% water changes when you need to. As far as how hard they are to hook up.... my brother is a plumber and says it is a cake walk.. and I talked to another guy whom is not a plumber.. and he says you should have someone hook it up for you ;)
What it does is filters YOUR water.. maybe you're using city water or running off well water or whatever it is YOU have.. it cleans that water to make it much cleaner. So you still gotta add your OWN salt of course. They are kinda expensive.. but if you are serious about keeping saltwater tanks they'll save you a LOT of money in the long run. Just in 3 months i've spent over 100 dollars on just water!
Look at this sites 'dry goods' and scroll down to their reverse osmosis systems to check prices and some info on them!

monalisa

Actually, I get RO water weekly at Wal Mart from the machine they sell as drinking water. I don't know what I would do without it at this point. I get 6gals/week for less than $2.00 total (it's .33 a gal!!). Very doable for me, though my tank is only 37 gals, so the 6 gals is usually enough for top offs during the week and a change on the weekend. When I add livestock, I know that I need to go and get more, easy peasy. I can do that!! :yes: Definitely a must-have...
Lisa :happyfish

speg

By the way if you're paying 1 dollar a gallon for the water you're using now you can probably go to your LFS and ask if they sell RO water with salt and if they sell it for 99 cents like most places around me you'd be saving yourself quite a bit of money but not having to use your own salt.

mudplayerx

If you can't afford the r/o machine, definately do like monalisa said and go to walmart for distilled water. You can even bring in your empty jugs and refill them for a low 33 cents.

spanky

Our LFS charges $1.50 per gallon for the RO/salt mix, and it's reportedly going up in price again!
I bought an awesome RO/DI unit from Filters Direct on the famous auction site. It is a six stage 110 gallon per day unit - for $90 plus $12 shipping. It will pay for itself quickly.