What is the best choice?

sir ryan

Hi, I'm new to clams. I have a 46g bow that is set up reef with a 250w MH and 2x96 PC actinics. I would assume this is enough for most clams? Are there certain varieties that prefer to live on the live rock as opposed to the sand? Which is the most n00b friendly?

wangotango

Clams in general are not "noob friendly" and require mature tanks with stable water parameters.
That being said, T. Derasa is one of the easier to keep, but they grow to be quite large. They do fine on the sand.
T. Crocea and Maxima are a little less forgiving than Derasa, don't get as large, and can be placed up on the rock.
-Justin

nycbob

+1 with wango. ur tank needs to be matured 4-6 months at least b4 adding clams. ur light is certainly sufficient. derasa and squamosa r easiest and like being on sand. try to get one bigger than 3 inches, since they seem hardier.

candycane

There really are just ones that are harder to keep then other, period. I have stuck Croceas in tanks that were set up for less then 48 hours and 98% of the time nothing happened. There is more or less the hardiness of the clam that comes into play. Which I THINK I said, from most to least hardy, Squamosa, Gigas, Maxima, Derasa then Crocea - not sure if that's what I said last time.

jackri

Honestly? Clams are quite easy to take care of, they don't require feeding, once in place don't move around and are beautiful to look at.
However.... in order to make them easy to take care of you need:
The proper lighting (which you do)
Calcium of 400-450 ppm for them to grow
Clean water (0 phosphates, nitrates, etc)
NO direct water movment
As far as placement, I have a crocea, deresa in the sand and moved my maxima from the sand to the rock just based on preferance. I do agree with trying to get one over 3 inches, but not mandatory as the maxima's seem impossible to find that big. I do also dose iodine, trace elements, and stronium once a week for everythign that lives in the tank.
Good luck with your clams, if your tank is set up and your water parameters are fine you shouldn't have problems.

sir ryan

Thanks for the feedback everybody. The tank is matured enough, so that shouldn't be an issue. However, I do have a couple brittle stars in the tank as well. Assuming I do get a clam, I wouldn't want it to become a gourmet meal. Is there anything that shouldn't be kept with a clam?

jackri

Brittle stars are fine with clams as I have one with my 3 clams. There are a few fish/inverts to stay away from but its easy to list what you want versus go through everything you shouldn't have :)

iyachtuxivm

I have a crocea. I had to get rid of my bicolor blennie he was attacking the clam. I found out after that is common with clams and blennies of many kinds. So I say stay away from blennies, to bad they are so cute!

sir ryan

Hmm... Well, I have a Scooter and a Lawnmower blenny. Is there anybody else that has experienced similar problems with the Blennys and clams? In the tank I also have a CBS, brittle stars, DAMNsels, a Royal Gramma and tons of hermits along with an assortment of hard and soft corals.

nycbob

scooter doesnt really bother clams since they eat mostly pods. as with belnnies, there is always a chance it will nip at clams. i hv lawnmower and a black sailfin. so far, they havent bother my clams except acros.

candycane

Blennies are not generally attacking the clams' mantle; just bothering it. They are just trying to get to the "slime" that is some form of alga I think (haven't determined that yet). But I have never seen chunks actually get torn out of mantles.