What is the best deal for a RO system

kyarnkid

I have nusiance phosphate in my tank. This is present from the Distilled water I have been using. I am seriously considering a RO unit for my tank. What do I need to look for and how hard is instillation. I need help on this and I want to be able to put it together too.?
Thanks

melbournefl

Kyarn, they are really easy to install, shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours max. Most units come with everything you need to do the install except basic tools. Check on the Equipment Forum for a thread titled "Backwards RO/DI" (or something close to that) at the bottom of the thread one of the members posted a link to the site where he bought his unit. I checked it out and boy do I wish I'd found the site before I'd bought and installed my unit! Great prices!
Hope this helps and good luck.
Later,
Paul
BTW: if you have questions about hook up you might ask on the Equipment Forum, lot's of experience walks those hollowed halls !

jmgrn

there are numerous units available, consider how much capacity you need. Many units can be hooked up to your kitchen sink faucet simply by screwing the unit fitting to the faucet nozzle. I installed mine in the cupboard above the sink, drilled two holes in the cupboard floor to accommadate the waste line and the good water line, out of sight, convenient. If you want to go to the trouble you can also install it directly into your water line, alot of work imo.

ncjetskier

I purchased a Kent RO/DI about 1 year ago due to algae. I am now fighting hairy algae. I measured the phosphate level at the tap (well water after a water softner) and it measured .2 parts per million. Then I measured the RO water-it was the exact same .2ppm. The RO does remove impuraties (you can see how clear the water is in the last DI canister -mine is clear-) but mine does not remove phosphate!!!!!!!!!!!! To get rid of algae the best you can do is get a marine plant that will use up the phosphate you have. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

firedave

I read the last thread and I too have an algae problem...I believe the Phoshates to be partly to blame. What aquatic plants do you recommend. I have a crushed coral bottom.

ncjetskier

Colapera (I am not good at spelling). My hairy algae problem only started when I removed a golden plant that would continusly grow and I had to harvest it. The plant came attached to my live rock-man what a mistake it was to get rid of it!!!!!! The hairy algae got soo bad that it over grew my corals and chocked them off. I want as far as removing all my live rock, killing it and soaking it in hot fresh water and it still came back (all my tests are in line-amonia, nitrate, nitrate, etc. I also purchased one of those so called "Janitorial" crews of red legged crabs and mexican snails-again a waste of money. IMO the only way to get rid of the algae is to get plants that compete for the phosphate. They don't make enough phosguard to get rid of hairy algae once you have it-and remember I only have .2 ppm. Fish and remaining coral (bubble and star polp) and anenime are doing fine. But I still am fighting hairy algae. I just put in the colapera. By the way the Kent RO/DI came with a charcoal filter. I never read that it was activated charcoal, because if it is not, it has a ton of phosphate in it. Hope all this helps.

jcsurfn

I have what the people said at my lfs is red slime algae but it has a little hair on it also. Is this so called normal with red slime algae? Or do I also have hair algae?

ncjetskier

Hair algae (the nusance type) is green, rapidly growing and takes over alot of the reef if not delt with. It is typically the result of detris build up, phosphate and getting at least one spor (seed) in the tank. Red Slim is just that. It is flat, and slimmy looking.