what is the best reef tank size?

fau8

What is the best size tank for a reef setup, I currently have a 45 gallon with equipment capible of handling 100-125. The bigger the tank is it more work or is it more stable. I have very good water quality now and only change 10 gallons every 2-3 weeks.

tjswanson

I personally, would at least get a 75g tank, but if you have the money to spend and you already have the equipment, I'd go ahead and get a 125g tank. I made the switch from a 75g to a 125 and I'm so glad I did. TJ

tnreef

Best Size ? Try about a million. What is best for you is what you can afford. LOL
Go as big as you can it helps keep parameters in check
IMO Darryl
PS Read,Read,Read and then research.
[ May 27, 2001: Message edited by: TNReef ]

wolffam

Go with what you can afford to maintain. Larger tanks require more lighting & more water for changes. If you can remain within your budge, go for as big as you can.

krazzydart

If you have the money and equipment ,,,, I say at least a 75..... I actually think that a bigger tank is e-z'er to take care of than a small one,,,, in a small tank if something dies the levels can jump up way fast causing harm to the others,,,, and in a bigger tank you can add a bit more rock, critters,ect.... that will help each other out,,,, your own ocean system.....

sonny

Bigger is always better for aquariums. The more volume you have, the more of a cushion you have for the system to absorb pollutants in the tank. I have always said, if you put a drop of poison in a gallon sized tank, or a 100 gallon size, which would you feel safest about for your fish?
Decide what you want out of the tank. Some corals can grow really big, and will outgrow all but the largest tank. One thing that I think is important for a reef is the front to back depth, for stacking rock and having room for sand in the front. The maintenance on a bigger tank is not really that much different, other than you have more glass area you have to scrape, and a little more volume of water you have to change.
10 percent of 100 gallons is 10g, and 10 percent of 180 gallons is 18g. The difference is worth the extra effort!
Good luck,
Sonny