what is the best sump design for my tank?

hallzy

Im slowly but surly taking all the right steps to running my 65g reef tank more effectively. when I started, I had a 30inch 96w T5 lighting system that was held up by make shift plexi glass pieces since it wasn't long enough (light was on my 29g before I upgraded), a regular ol HOB filter system, no skimmer, and no sump. My first main purchase was a skimmer a few months ago (the HOB/in sump style), and today I ordered a 36 in, 234w T5 light! very excited for that to come in! Now that I have those 2 priorities out of the way, I want to build a sump and do away with the awful HOB filter. I've looked up many DIY designs, but there's so many that I can't decide on which one to go with.
My tank right now consists of: 65g (obviously), a few small fish, some LPS coral, zoos, shrooms, and some softs. I don't plan on dabbling in any SPS. I have an old 20g tank that I was planning on converting into the sump. My "kind of" plan for it was to have: a spot for my skimmer, a filter sock (not sure if its necessary or not), and a fuge (again not sure bout necessity). I dunno if I should include bio-balls or what not either. Based on what I want to do with my tank, what do u think my sump should include, and are there any good designs I can follow to make it?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzy http:///t/390306/what-is-the-best-sump-design-for-my-tank#post_3455578
Im slowly but surly taking all the right steps to running my 65g reef tank more effectively. when I started, I had a 30inch 96w T5 lighting system that was held up by make shift plexi glass pieces since it wasn't long enough (light was on my 29g before I upgraded), a regular ol HOB filter system, no skimmer, and no sump. My first main purchase was a skimmer a few months ago (the HOB/in sump style), and today I ordered a 36 in, 234w T5 light! very excited for that to come in! Now that I have those 2 priorities out of the way, I want to build a sump and do away with the awful HOB filter. I've looked up many DIY designs, but there's so many that I can't decide on which one to go with.
My tank right now consists of: 65g (obviously), a few small fish, some LPS coral, zoos, shrooms, and some softs. I don't plan on dabbling in any SPS. I have an old 20g tank that I was planning on converting into the sump. My "kind of" plan for it was to have: a spot for my skimmer, a filter sock (not sure if its necessary or not), and a fuge (again not sure bout necessity). I dunno if I should include bio-balls or what not either. Based on what I want to do with my tank, what do u think my sump should include, and are there any good designs I can follow to make it?
Hi,
I'm sure Acrylic51, 2Quills and Al&Burke will be glad to help. So this is a bump...to send it back to the top to be noticed.

acrylic51

Bump it is......What are the dimensions of the 20 gallon tank you have, that your planning for the sump. Another question is the 65 gallon drilled......

hallzy

ok I will get some pics up and get some dimensions as well. I will try to get them up as soon as I can, but I've been just working SO much latly. 7 days a week starts to get draining after awhile. By the time I get home I really just don't feel like doing anything. Oh and no my 65 is not drilled. I was planning on getting an overflow box. I was going to mention that in my original post, but I must have forgotten. That is another question I had tho. Is there a certain box I should look at? I know there's alot of DIY overflow boxes too, but after looking at how it is done, I would much rather just purchase one. lol

hallzy

Ok i know its been awhile but i finally have some pics and dimentions. i have concluded that my 20 gallon will fit under the tank. The dimentions of the 20g that i plan on using are: 24inL x 12inW x 17inT
The questions i have are what should my sump include to be most benificial to my tank. I mainly want the sump so i can do away with all the eqipment hanging on the back of the tank because it is an eye sore. My skimmer can convert into an in sump style, and i hate having an HOB filter. But in doing away with the filter, filtration becomes a concern. Do i just use a filter sock? Also would it be benificial to incorporate a fuge? People seemed to have mixed feelings about when one should be used.
After i get some of this info i can start coming up with a design, but im really not even sure what all i need to include in my design so i cant start anything! lol
Here are a few pics of the tank and stand tho:

icedtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzy http:///t/390306/what-is-the-best-sump-design-for-my-tank#post_3460637
The questions i have are what should my sump include to be most benificial to my tank. I mainly want the sump so i can do away with all the eqipment hanging on the back of the tank because it is an eye sore. My skimmer can convert into an in sump style, and i hate having an HOB filter. But in doing away with the filter, filtration becomes a concern. Do i just use a filter sock? Also would it be benificial to incorporate a fuge? People seemed to have mixed feelings about when one should be used.
I am new to the hobby and just built a DIY sump with a 20 gallon tank I believe has the same dimensions as yours. After reading tons of info and forums I can up with a basic 3 bay system. I have my overflow and protein skimmer in the first bay, then live sand/my live rock rubble/chaetomorpha in the 2nd (and a heater), followed by a few baffles and basic fish filter fiber, which finally leads to a bay that houses the return pump.
Again, I am no pro but am very very happy with how it came out. The only noise that comes out of it is from the protein skimmer and I love only have a few tiny thermometers and powerheads visible in the tank. I hope this at least helps a bit. Heres a picture of my setup. I run a LED grow bulb for about 10 hours a day on an alternate timer to my main lights i'm setting up. It's only been up for a week but the chaetomorpha is already growing!

Not the best pictures in the world but you get the gist.

hallzy

I do like that design, I don't wanna get to in depth with it. Do u have anything for filtration?

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedtc http:///t/390306/what-is-the-best-sump-design-for-my-tank#post_3460880
I am new to the hobby and just built a DIY sump with a 20 gallon tank I believe has the same dimensions as yours. After reading tons of info and forums I can up with a basic 3 bay system. I have my overflow and protein skimmer in the first bay, then live sand/my live rock rubble/chaetomorpha in the 2nd (and a heater), followed by a few baffles and basic fish filter fiber, which finally leads to a bay that houses the return pump.
Again, I am no pro but am very very happy with how it came out. The only noise that comes out of it is from the protein skimmer and I love only have a few tiny thermometers and powerheads visible in the tank. I hope this at least helps a bit. Heres a picture of my setup. I run a LED grow bulb for about 10 hours a day on an alternate timer to my main lights i'm setting up. It's only been up for a week but the chaetomorpha is already growing!

Not the best pictures in the world but you get the gist.
Nice work and liking the skimmer.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzy
http:///t/390306/what-is-the-best-sump-design-for-my-tank#post_3461000
I do like that design, I don't wanna get to in depth with it. Do u have anything for filtration?
The sump is his filtration......The skimmer and then the flow through the fuge......All the filtration you need.......

hallzy

Awesome, that's kinda what I was hoping for. I've never really dealt with sumps before, so I know the basics on what it is, but that's about it. Well thank u for sharing that design with me. I think I will base mine off of yours and go from there! Thanks!

hallzy

OK this is obviously just a quick sketch and is in no way fit to scale or anything, but just trying to get a rough idea. How does this sketch look so far?

icedtc

Looking good!
Like Acrylic said, the filtration comes from the sump itself. Namely the protein skimmer which leads to the next bay with live sand and whatever you want to grow there. I have heard you don't really need live rock down there but I had left over rubble from cutting my display tank pieces so I thought I may as well toss them in my sump as opposed to in the garbage.
The only ohter filtration I use is some generic filter fiber (that white stuff that looks stuffed animal stuffing) in the first of the baffles right after the fuge. This stops the microbubbles and just in case something from your fuge travels out of its area...it won't clog your return sump!
It's really not too bad to make. This was my first ever sump so I know exactly where your coming from. Just ensure you use aquarium safe silicone for all the acrylic bays.