What is the difference?

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by jakebtc
hqi double ended are smaller and come in different increments of wattage then larger se
??? actually SE come in more wattages then DE.
There are two different types of bulbs available within the metal halide family. First are the single ended bulbs or also referred to as mogul based or abbreviated SE. Single ended lamps will have a thread ended like a normal light bulb only a little thicker and will

[hr]
into a mogul socket. These bulbs are most commonly seen in 175, 250 and 400 watt but are also occasionally available in 150 and 1000 watt versions. The SE bulbs have a glass tube around the arc tube (the part that lights up) to help protect them. This glass will provide UV protection and the bulbs do not need another protective shield when placed over the tank. But if you have fish that tend to splash the extra protection of a glass shield could prevent the bulb from breaking. Single ended bulbs are the most common metal halide bulbs being used and will have the most types of bulbs available (currently).
The second types of bulbs available are the double ended bulbs (abbreviated DE). DE bulbs lack the threads and UV casing found on SE bulbs. Instead they will be held in place using two ceramic endcaps that the bulbs snap into and the pendant or fixture that houses the bulbs will have a UV glass shield. DE bulbs should never be run over a tank without the use of the glass shield. While DE bulbs are newer to the industry they have made leaps and bounds since they were introduced and are becoming more and more popular. This popularity is mainly due in to the fact that when compared watt to watt to SE bulbs they will have a higher PAR value (P.A.R.- Abbreviation for Photosynthetically Active Radiation. Used in measuring the light levels or energy given off by a lamp). Most commonly you see the DE bulbs in 150 and 250 watt bulbs but there are 70 and 400 watt versions also available.

jakebtc

single ended 175 250 and 400
double ended 75 150 250 400 and might be more option out there
sorry didnt mention most importantly the built in uv shield difference
questiong some of that myself with diy projector applications

tangwhispr

single ended 175 250 and 400
double ended 75 150 250 400 and might be more option out there
sorry didnt mention most importantly the built in uv shield difference
questiong some of that myself with diy projector applications

You forgot 150 and 1000 watt on the SE. Not overly common, but they are out there.

acrylic51

Yes DE bulbs for the most part put out more PAR, but they are also overdriven by the HQI ballast most people run them on.

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Yes DE bulbs for the most part put out more PAR, but they are also overdriven by the HQI ballast most people run them on.
Have you tried overdriving SE bulbs with an HQI Ballast? I have had good luck and supposedly its better then DE, but I have seen no actual tests by Sanjay or anyone else reputable.

jakebtc

since your on the sanjay thing lol "been lookin forever" do you know of the site that has side by side pics of different brands of bulbs in different color temps was a real good pictoral comparison as well as spectrum info of reef bulbs but cant find it anymore??

if i remeber it was like 10 photos long in a row and 2 accross large grouping of his or one of his reefs as a tester

tangwhispr

since your on the sanjay thing lol "been lookin forever" do you know of the site that has side by side pics of different brands of bulbs in different color temps was a real good pictoral comparison as well as spectrum info of reef bulbs but cant find it anymore??

if i remeber it was like 10 photos long in a row and 2 accross large grouping of his or one of his reefs as a tester
I think i know what you are talking about, lemme check my bookmarks at the office...i believe its there.

2cold2fish

I would like ti jump in and ask a question if i may?
What is the advantages of buying a name brand bulb like xm or ushio or phoenix compared to the bulbs out there for 9.99?

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by 2cold2fish
I would like ti jump in and ask a question if i may?
What is the advantages of buying a name brand bulb like xm or ushio or phoenix compared to the bulbs out there for 9.99?
huge difference...the cheap ---- bulbs, turn yellow, burn out, or just don't light

scsinet

Quality. You get what you pay for.

tangwhispr

Thanks, I figured as much, but its time to buy new bulbs and have not decided which brand.
I have tried many, I am using reflux 12k right now....I like them so far.

2cold2fish

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Quality. You get what you pay for.
Its an age old quote, but I wish I could have back half the "top dollar money" I've forked out over the years for products that are expertly marketed pieces of crap. Like my last truck.
Anyway, if you've tried or tested them I'm very interested.
Of course "they burn out" and or "just dont light" is enough to steer me the other way. Our tanks hold tooo much money to be risked easily.

scsinet

Its an age old quote, but I wish I could have back half the "top dollar money" I've forked out over the years for products that are expertly marketed pieces of crap. Like my last truck.
Anyway, if you've tried or tested them I'm very interested.
Of course "they burn out" and or "just dont light" is enough to steer me the other way. Our tanks hold tooo much money to be risked easily.
Premature failure and color drift are the biggest problems with them. I had a crap lamp fail after 3 months on me. I've seen others in operation that after a few months was so yellow it looked like someone pee'd in the tank.

2cold2fish

LOL, have seen tanks that look reallly yellow.
I have an aqualight with 3 150w mh coralvue bulbs and I have not been impressed with them at all, they seemed to dim after about 8 months and now at twelve I'm way over due. So far have heard good things about XM and phoenix and now the one tang just mentioned. (I'l research it)
I guess I'm looking for a good bulb with a better life than my curent setup. As opposed to a great bulb that is really expensive and has a shorter life.
This probably makes no sense, but I'm trying. (I'm old)