What is the effective reach of a 96watt Power Compact light

enomadra

Does anyone know the effective reach of a 96watt Power Compact light? I know that I have heard people say to use 250watt MH if your tank is no taller than 24inchs, then if you go beyond that get 400watt MH. I am just curious because I am planning on useing the 96 watt lights on my tank and it is 30inchs tall.

T

thomas712

An effective reach would be about 18 inches and even less at 24 inches from my reading about PC lighting. If you were to go 6 inches more on a tank your pc's would almost be useless for corals IMO except for the very low light requiring corals.
A 30 inch tank is just begging for MH lighting. However for color you could combine the two for a really good look.
In most reading that I have done any tank 24 inches deep, with anyone that wants to keep mid range corals at the bottom or even clams needs to go to MH lighting.
Your tank will have light but you need to look at the par value of the bulbs. MH has that par value to reach 24 inches and lower.
Thomas

enomadra

Thats what I was affraid of. My tank is 48" Long X 24" Wide X 30" Tall. I do not want to run MH because I do not want to have a chiller. I guess I have a nice big fresh water tank or need to sell it and get one that is maybe 60" long X 24" Wide X 24" Tall.