what is the most easy coral to frag?

T

tizzo

Depends on the tools you have.
But the absolute easiest are the acropora SPS's with a pair of bone cutters... Snip, snip, snip. You can frag up a whole coral in less than a minute.
Sidenote though, they are all easy if you have the right tools and aren't afraid of what your doing. But the SPS's are so quick, that I consider them the easiest.

hunt

right now im thinking about getting a colt coral or an acropora what do you think is easier also what other corals do you suggest (im a complete beginner at this so i need a real hardy coral)

T

tizzo

Your a beginner at corals in general? Or your a beginner at fragging?
I'd recomend completely different corals based on your answer.

hunt

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/3219277
Your a beginner at corals in general? Or your a beginner at fragging?
I'd recomend completely different corals based on your answer.
corals in general i guess. I have successfully raise purple mushrooms. But i want to get another coral. Im only learning about fragging just in case.

T

tizzo

Well, mushrooms are a good start. The next on the list is just as easy, only a little more expensive. Your colt is a great idea. A toadstool, palys, a cabbage leather, and some bland colored zoas.
All of those should do just fine if your mushrooms did ok.
Acropora is a way more sensative coral, and you'd really wanna work your way up to that via softies, which your doing, then LPS's then easy sps's THEN the acros. Since they can be pretty pricey, your really taking a risk jumping straight to those.
All softies are easy to frag...again, pending what tools you have.
A colt coral only needs a simple pair of scissors that you don't mind getting saltwater on.
Shrooms are fraggable with a flathead screwdriver.
Zoas are tougher but I let them spread onto terricotta or porcelain tiled and I razor them right off since it's a smooth surface.
Toadstool and cabbage...scissors also.

hunt

alright, i think ill go with the colt. My petstore has small $5.00 frags of it.(im pretty sure it colt) it looks alot like it. So i think ill do with the colt. Thanks for the help.

flower

The two easiest corals to frag on Earth:
  • Xenia- place a rock just above it and it will climb up on its own.
    Green Star Polyps- It pulls up like a little blanket (use your fingers)and just drape it over another rock you want it to cover.

fretfreak13

The only thing I've ever fragged was Anthelia. It's also a great first coral. All I did was gently pull it up (it grows on a mat) and snipped it with scizzors. The frag looked deflated fro two days, and then bounced right back up. It also atached to the new rock in less than a day.

rlablan

I think that leathers are the easiest. I have a devils hand, and I place a pair of scissors in my tank, snip off a 3 or so inch of coral and simply place it in my little frag trap, til it bonds to a rock (just a few days.) It's really simple.
Shrooms are easy, but sometimes they melt, and also, sometimes they just don't like to bond when they are cut into 'pie pieces'.

aquaknight

Far and away, without question the easiest coral to frag is any Monti Cap. 90% of the time, you don't want to frag it, but accidently bump it with something and snap! New Monti frags...

Of course being an SPS, they need tanks capable for them. I would try either the Colts or zoas recommended. Either are nice and hardy, especially the "brown zoas" have aquarist has at some point.

bang guy

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3219967
Far and away, without question the easiest coral to frag is any Monti Cap. 90% of the time, you don't want to frag it, but accidently bump it with something and snap! New Monti frags...

Of course being an SPS, they need tanks capable for them. I would try either the Colts or zoas recommended. Either are nice and hardy, especially the "brown zoas" have aquarist has at some point.

I was going to say Seriatopra for that very reason. They tend to shatter with just the smallest bump. But then I remembered how Colt coral are always throwing off Mini-Me's.

keith gray

Youtube has some really cool videos and will make you less afraid. At leaset it did me. You can get on that site and search fragging xenias or fragging toadtstool or whatever

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Hunt
http:///forum/post/3220047
any others with experiance?
if your a begginner with corals heres my recomendations
if you want hands on fragging:
I would start out with either a kenya tree or a colt snip the branch with either SHARP scissors or a razor and rubber band it to a rock lightly.
then move on to mushrooms. cut the head off leaving just a bit of the base attached to the rock put the head in a container of sand with bridal mesh over it, and allow it time to attach to the sand, then you can superglue the sand to a piece of rubble.
and there is a million places to go from there
if you want hands off fragging:
buy a xenia and place it inbetween pieces of rubble the xenia will eventually spread onto the rubble.
the kenya tree will also self frag if you want hands off fragging just let it grow and it will eventually start throwing branches once it matures and is in a stable environment.

rlablan

I agree with the you tube videos. There are some that are pretty cool and are really good teaching aids.
I like the ones called "fun with fragging." there are like 5 or six and they are all about easy corals. Search for that title and they should all come up.