What is the name of the classification of fish who swim in open water?

kilofey

Fish like cardinals, clowns, and chromis. Ones that tend to bring other hiding fish out in the open. Im looking for the name of the classification so that I can find a list of fish who will help bring others out of hiding.

slice

Pelagic

But I don't think this will help fulfill the intent of the question.
Perhaps you were looking for "shoaling" fish?
Not entirely sure what you are asking. The aquarium fish "that tend to bring other hiding fish out in the open" do so with the intent to whip their ass.

rickross23

Pelagic
But I don't think this will help fulfill the intent of the question.
Perhaps you were looking for "shoaling" fish?
Not entirely sure what you are asking. The aquarium fish "that tend to bring other hiding fish out in the open" do so with the intent to whip their ass.
+1

kilofey

I think its pelagic, thank you. Im pretty sure shoaling fish is not what im looking for because thats pretty much the same as schooling fish meaning lots of one kind of fish right?
Out in the wild, if there is no fish swimming out in the open, the more shy, reef dwelling fish assume there is danger so they will tend to hide. Fish like chromis and cardinals hang out in open water most of the time. This tells fish "its safe to come out". I was looking for the name of the classification of open water swimmers so I can start trying to buy those kind of fish... From what I was reading, I believe pagic is the word I was looking for :)
Anyone know of any non-aggressive "pelagic" fish? :hi:

kilofey

You sure you don't mean dither fish?

Possibly lol, I looked up the definition and dither seems to be the one I was looking for. Thank you! Do you know of any dither fish?