What is the simplest way to start....

lennon

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
For the cheapest way i would go with a fo with very few fish. If you have very little bioload then you can just get a biowheel.
Thanks for the replies Cela..
I am not too concerned about the money...I am more concerned about the maintenance involved if I keep too many things. But I thought LR was suppose to make it easier.
So LR is not the best idea then?

teresaq1

Hi Leno. I have a 55 gal tank i started in feb. I have 3 inch of sand, and 60 lbs live rock. I started out with. just a few pieces, annd have added over the last few months. For equipment. I have aqua remora pro skimmer.

lennon

Originally Posted by TeresaQ1
Hi Leno. I have a 55 gal tank i started in feb. I have 3 inch of sand, and 60 lbs live rock. I started out with. just a few pieces, annd have added over the last few months. For equipment. I have aqua remora pro skimmer.

Hey there! How has it been working out for you? Are you happy you started? I am so nervous to start. But I did look up so much and read tons.
What is your maintenance schedule if you don't mind me asking?
How many fish do you keep in there now?
And what equipment do you use? Refug, hang ons??
Thanks for the help! :happyfish

teresaq1

sorry, my computer froze on me.
I have a aqua remora skimmer, canister filter, hang on back filter for carbon, a couple of power heads. and a hang on back refuge.I love it. Its a 55 gal tank, 3 inch sand and 60 lbs live rock.
for lights i use 260 watts power compact.
I have lost a couple of fish, but nothing bad. Once a week i change 5 gal of water, and once a month i clean my filter, and canister.
Right now i have
2 blue chromis
2 clowns
royal gramma
bi-color blenny
eng goby
cleaner shrimp
snails and crabs

merredeth

Originally Posted by Lennon
So no LR? I thought that helped filter a FO tank better? I'm so confused. What filter would I use and what rock would you put in...fake stuff?
Thanks for the advise!!

You put your coral or sand in and after a few days then add the live rock for a fish only tank.You are correct, live rock does aid filtering.
My personal belief is never put anything fake in my tanks. I just like them to look genuine since my house is done completely in a nautical theme. If it isn't real, it doesn't go in my tanks.
As far as water changes go, my advice it to test water constantly after you cycle and have added your fish SLOWLY. Keep testing your water consistently until you get the hang of this hobby and understand your tank and understand your test readings. There is a lot to learn about the effects of nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, PH, calcium and etc.
I use a journal for each of my tanks where I record my test readings and any observations that look good, different or unusual. Each recording is dated. I also record when I add new tankmates and where I got them from as well as the price I paid. A little late in my newfound hobby I came up with this idea as I had an unexplainable loss and went nuts because I shelled out money only to see one of my fish die, and I didn't know why. The journal idea came to me then. I didn't want to make the same mistake twice, so this was how I made an attempt to prevent the problem.
Journaling only takes a few minutes for each tank, but, when I experience a problem, I have a point to go back and look where I either messed up, got lazy or failed in some area. I also jot down things that have worked for others so I have a quick reference for problems one can expect to have at some point in this hobby.
After journaling for awhile, I can guarantee you that a pattern will emerge that is unique to your tank. It just takes time and a lot of patience. Keep in mind, a journal is only as good as your notes, so keep good notes and fill it with observations as well as test results.
Another piece of advice, add fish based on not just what you like but factor in full growth size and who his tankmates are going to be. You don't want to buy an expensive fish and find out it is the equivalent of filet minon for a fish you purchased months or weeks before.
Every one of the epxerienced people here here have lost fish to death. The key is to learn from any mistakes you may have made and to prevent future ones by learning from books and hanging out online reading the notes from those that are wiser than you are. This is what works for me.
Denise M.