what is the smallest shark?

mollylope

Hi I curently have a nano tank but I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger tank. I have a protine skimmer but it is only for tanks up to 60 gallons. I want to get a shark, eel, or a lion fish but I want one one of these to fit in a 60 gallon tank so I can use the skimmer I have now. So is there any shark that would fit in a 60 gallon?

ophiura

I agree on the tank size. Really no good for a shark...potentially marginal for a predator tank. There is a problem with "tank size" regulations on protein skimmers...often they are a bit generous on their actual capacity. And with predators you want a good skimmer, IMO, not one that is marginal for that tank size.
So what I recommend is that you sit down and make a list of the animals you would realistically like to keep. Then ask about a reasonable tank size, then look around for some deals. Surely in Maryland there are some local saltwater groups and many sell set ups for cheap. So I would look out there (and in the papers) for good deals and get a tank size that is suitable for the fish you like instead of one suitable for the skimmer your stuck with :)

sw65galma

Originally Posted by mollylope
Hi I curently have a nano tank but I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger tank. I have a protine skimmer but it is only for tanks up to 60 gallons. I want to get a shark, eel, or a lion fish but I want one one of these to fit in a 60 gallon tank so I can use the skimmer I have now. So is there any shark that would fit in a 60 gallon?
Like it was stated in other messages, Tanks specs for skimmers are usually generous. usually with the assumption of a light bio load.
For future reference if you were to look into getting a shark you'd need to OVER Skim due to the amount of waste they produce...
For example if you had a 180 gal tank (which is the smalled you'd want a shark in) you'd want a skimmer rated for a minimun of 240gal, in some cases depending on brand, you'd want something rated for 300 or 400 gals. (for the cheaper brands)
A brand like Euro Reef or Aqua C,, you can get a skimmer appropiately sized as they are awsome skimmers but they are also $400-$600+
Remeber because of sharks carnivorous nature, they will grow very very fast in a matter of months...
So you can't use the "i'll get a baby and upgrade later" method...unless you plan on upgrading to a 180gal+ in a few months...