what is the worst that could happen - has it to you?

lazarus

my setup is about 6 yrs old and i saw something frightening tonight: The DT is 100 gallons with a 20g refuge underneath. The display was custom made by a local craftsman that works for a LFS. The refuge clearance is very small, and the sump sits a few inches under the bottom which holds up the DT.
What was frightening was the amount of moisture absorbed by the bottom. I can literally peel layers off the plywood that sits above the sump. Now i know the DT is secured on the stand mostly by the 2X4 construction around its perimeter but...what is the worse that can happen with the continued damage the refuge evaporation is doing to the stand? Is there a doomsday scenario looming here?

lazarus

not yet but just picture a piece of smooth wood paneling (not fiberboard) that has evaporation absorption. This is very early stage damage from what i can tell - since i am down there daily looking at my fuge.

4clownfish

get some acrylic the size of the plywood underneath. Take a nut and glue it to the exact center of the plywood. Take the acrylic and mount it under neath onto the wood with the nut make it so the acrylic bends and makes a bump/center, but make sure the screws down pertrude into the DT. and all moistuer that builds will drip down into the sump.

lazarus

that sounds like a plausible solution, thanks - do you think i should make a center hole for moisture to drain from?

4clownfish

Or if there isn't enough condesnation to condense into drops, just caulk the end of the acrylic and stick in up there. Or paint/stain it.

lazarus

actually that sounds easier, so long as i can make sure no moisture gets trapped between the acrylic and plywood.