WHAT is this? Coral

jonnywater

I keep looking at this thing and the more I do, the more I get confused. It looks like a montipora of some sort. But the polyps look like a flowerpot.

babyb

i have one of hose to but i dont remember what they are called but the lfs girl saidit wasnt gongipora(sp?) but u know how that can go
man i wish my stors would have stuff like that is shawnee it is $10 FOR A SINGLE MUSHROOM THE SIZE OF A GOLD $ now if that aint a rip and they are all one color they just started fraging some gsp and the are like $20 for a piece of it . that is messed up i tell you

H

havunen191

Species Name: Alveopora gigas Veron
Common Name: Daisy Coral
Similar to Goniopora, however its polyps have 12 tentacles and Goniopora has 24, and it forms branching columns. Found on exposed upper reef slopes, in protected turbid environments, and rocky foreshores.
Requires low to moderate lighting and gentle water movement.
Photo By:Bob Goemans

jonnywater

So I guess I paid 15 bucks for the thing and didnt even want it? In the pic where you can tell the full length, just a reference, that it is about 7-8 inches long. It was burried in some rock rubble at the time, and I thought it was a flowerpot. Oh well. I'll just leave it be and see it grow.

ninjamini

Havunen,
I saw one of these the other day at the LFS and I wanted it. But not knowing about its care I passed. Do they have sweeper tentacles like Goniopora? The guy at the LFS said they don't but I don't trust those guys.
Originally Posted by Havunen191
Species Name: Alveopora gigas Veron
Common Name: Daisy Coral
Similar to Goniopora, however its polyps have 12 tentacles and Goniopora has 24, and it forms branching columns. Found on exposed upper reef slopes, in protected turbid environments, and rocky foreshores.
Requires low to moderate lighting and gentle water movement.
Photo By:Bob Goemans

jonnywater

From what I read - it says that its polyps can extend far past its base and sting other corals. So I am not to into it right now. I may get used to it after seeing how far they actually extend after it acclimates for a few weeks.

babyb

hey i will email you when i get home from school, supost to be researching my speech
, buti will get back to you. what part of ok r u from andwhere do u go, there are only like 1 or 2 places that i have found that are ok
ttul

H

havunen191

Originally Posted by jonnywater
So I guess I paid 15 bucks for the thing and didnt even want it? In the pic where you can tell the full length, just a reference, that it is about 7-8 inches long. It was burried in some rock rubble at the time, and I thought it was a flowerpot. Oh well. I'll just leave it be and see it grow.

WOW!!!
I wish I could score one for that price
. You can't touch one around here for under $50. That really was a good price. not only that they are a hardier coral than the Goniopora. And the growth pattern I think is much more desired. Here is a little more information that I could find.
Polyps are up to 100 millimeter (aprox. 4 inch) long and 20 millimeters diameter when fully extended. Color: Oral discs and tentacle tips are white, the rest of the polyps are brown or greenish-brown.
Care:
Hardiness: Alveopora is fairly delicate, although survival may be somewhat better than with the related Goniopora. The 'trick' required to successfully maintain these corals has not been discovered and success appears to be at least partly luck. May do best in a fairly nutrient rich lagoon type reef tank.
Lighting: Seems to like moderate, and not intense, lighting.
Water Current: Seem to prefer low to moderate water motion which is in keeping with their natural habitat conditions.
Temperature: Does well within a range of at least 78º to 82º F
Aggressiveness: Appears to be low.
Feeding: Alveopora is photosynthetic and it is not known if they will take any offered foods. It may benefit from nutrient rich water, based on its natural habitat which is counter to most reef tank conditions.
Supplements: Maintaining correct calcium and alkalinity levels is undoubtedly important for skeletal development
Tank Positioning: Best positioning seems to be in a low water flow, moderate light area of the tank.

john kelly

jonny, that is Goniopora (aka Flowerpot coral). The polyps on that particular species probably won't be much longer than an inch.
If you were closer, I would take it off of your hands for you
. Cool coral!

john kelly

Originally Posted by Rappa
It's not goniopora, it's alveopora.
The pic is too blurry, but your probably right. 12 tentacles surrounding the mouths.