What is this coral?

kllyjansen

This little guy has been growing up out of my live rock. What I am trying to ID is the tree-like growth in the middle of the picture. The little star-shaped pieces at the end of the branches open and close based on time of day, water conditions, etc.

It's not the best pic, I know, but it is the best that I can do. I assume it is a piece of coral?

A

alexmir

The striations on the trunk of it make it look like a little carnation coral. the extended polyps do too. Also could just be a leather coral though.

notsonoob

I have them in my tank and they grow pretty well.
It is a sub species of Calvularia SP. Or Clove Polyp.
Whoops, may have looked at the wrong one.....rats.
Second opinion,
After reviewing some that I've seen it kind of resembles a Califlower Colt Coral.
Cladiella sp.
Might even be a Kenya Tree

mx#28

I believe it's a kenya tree (Capnella sp.)
Be sure to nuke that aiptasia before it does any more damage.

kllyjansen

Thanks!
And yikes! This is my first saltwater tanks and I just googled aiptasia... i have a ton in my aquarium... how do i get rid of them?

mx#28

Originally Posted by kllyjansen
http:///forum/post/2783898
Thanks!
And yikes! This is my first saltwater tanks and I just googled aiptasia... i have a ton in my aquarium... how do i get rid of them?
Search around, you'll find MANY methods of dealing with pest anemones. I personally prefer to just keep a couple of underfeed peppermint shrimps in my tank, but there are pros and cons with every option.
Welcome to the hobby - to do it right takes a lot of research and hard work, but is also very rewarding.

kllyjansen

Will the Peppermint shrimp eat a big aiptasia? Websites seem to indicate they will only it small ones... and that sucker you see in the pic is a big guy.

mx#28

Originally Posted by kllyjansen
http:///forum/post/2783966
Will the Peppermint shrimp eat a big aiptasia? Websites seem to indicate they will only it small ones... and that sucker you see in the pic is a big guy.
They've always worked for me regardless of the anemone size. If that is your only aiptasia, though, you might try to just squirt a small amount of kalkwasser right on it.

kllyjansen

I had four large ones. I blasted them with Kalkwasser this morning. Hopefully they will stay gone. If I have small ones pop up I'll get the shrimp, I just have such a small tank I don't want to load it up with too much.
Thanks everyone!