What is this Creature?!

J

jamiegrl

I was taking out my sponge and found a few of these creatures crawling around it
any idea what it is?
kinda looks like a shrimp of some kind... not sure tho
HELP! will they hurt my tank?

halostalker

there are species of pod very healthy for the tank=P
those are the adults
they are something like tigerpods.
the more the better but too many mean u are overfeeding the tank but in my mind u can never have too many of those pods as long as ur nitrates are low=P

J

jesses89

Copepods.. harmless... thats something you WANT in your tank... means your tank is flourishing....
whenever i clean my filter... i found bunch of them in there.. i just throw them back in the tank...

J

jamiegrl

awww I killed them!
I didn't know if they were good or bad but hopefully more will grow
the only problem was they were in my sponge not my tank!!!!
looks like this are going well with my tank then

bs21

I see them in the filterfloss of my overflow all the time. I just chuck 'em back in and watch the fish try and catch them.

joebob7

a few of those hang out in my tank too
they seem a little big to be regular pods
mine were like .25 inch long

spanko

Couple of my fav quotes:
Of course, uh, peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation.
When proteins get hot they tend to tangle up tighter than teenagers at a dance. And when they bond up tight enough, they over coagulate. And when they over coagulate, they can curdle. And any cook or parent will tell you that leads to trouble.

mag4734

they are really good for your tank and if you had two adults then you probably have a ton of little guys running around. Sometimes you can see them right before you turn the light on in the morning. You can buy them for your tank too.