What is this growing on my sand?

vt rules

Originally Posted by kzoo
How much flow do you have and if you have fish how much do you feed them?

I have 2 MaxiJet 1200's in a 55 gallon. One of the MJ's is set up right in the area of this green crust and the other side of the tank doesn't have the problem. I have two fish in there right now and they are fed once every two days. I don't feel like I give them very much food.

S

slofish

looks like some green hair with a hint of red slime algae starting to bloom.

vt rules

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
Stop using tap water.
The tank is going on 5 months old. I have not tested my water in the past couple of weeks but all was good previously. What should I be looking for? I am using RO/DI water, never tap.

reefstar22

Originally Posted by vt rules
The tank is going on 5 months old. I have not tested my water in the past couple of weeks but all was good previously. What should I be looking for? I am using RO/DI water, never tap.

that kind of problem comes from a build up of nitrates and nutriants in the water... your filter isn't catching something...either that or how long do you have your lights on for?

vt rules

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
that kind of problem comes from a build up of nitrates and nutriants in the water... your filter isn't catching something...either that or how long do you have your lights on for?

I use a AquaC Remora protein skimmer. I have a 4 bulb T-5 system, my actinics are on for 9 hours and my others for 8 hours. Is it possible the bulbs need replacing? They are around a year old.

poniegirl

If you haven't tested your water for 2 wk, then does that mean you haven't cleaned filter media, done a water change or topped off during that time? That could be your problem right there :scared: I can't change anything (even top off) without checking the basics. A little overboard, but have only had nasty surprises when I skip these steps.

grumpygils

Any help on an id and a solution toget rid of it would be much appreciated........ :notsure:
Two words: Lawnmower Blennie

vt rules

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
If you haven't tested your water for 2 wk, then does that mean you haven't cleaned filter media, done a water change or topped off during that time? That could be your problem right there :scared: I can't change anything (even top off) without checking the basics. A little overboard, but have only had nasty surprises when I skip these steps.
I've done a 10% water change, and emptied my skimmer. I don't have a filter. I have to top off every other day.
I had a Lawnmower Blennie but he never seemed to do anything with the sand. He was always on the glass. Sadly, he went carpet surfing.

vt rules

Originally Posted by Shnabbles
You need more flow i have 4 maxi jet 1200s in my 55 and still wish i had more.
Really, how do you have them postioned? It's strange, the stuff is growing very near one of the MaxiJets. You can actually see the bottom of it in the first picture. I hate to add too many of them since it takes away from the natural appearance of the tank.

poniegirl

I've done a 10% water change, and emptied my skimmer. I don't have a filter. I have to top off every other day.
I had a Lawnmower Blennie but he never seemed to do anything with the sand. He was always on the glass. Sadly, he went carpet surfing.
Wow, I guess that installing a filter would be my first suggestion.

vt rules

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Wow, I guess that installing a filter would be my first suggestion.
Really? I've always been told that a good protein skimmer is more than enough as long as you don't have a huge bio-load in your tank---which I don't. :notsure: