What is this growth on my LR?

This came attached on a great piece of LR. I have absolutely no idea what it is...? It's a yellowish-whitish color, with patches of orange and red. Coral? It has two TINY little anenome-looking things on it --not sure if you can see them there. The third pic shows them the best. There's one in that pic to the left of the orange patch.

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
Holy cow that is some chaotic flow!
HAHA this cracked me up! So I should tone down the madness a touch...? I thought water circ was good?
But really, what is that thing on my rock? Does everyone agree on the sponge theory?

whitemike

Thats a sea hemroid. Take it to your local vet and get some cream for it. Also it looks like a huricane in there. Would you want to be in a non stop huricane. I sure wouldn't that would stress me out and want to kill my self.

Whitey, it's hard....lol whitemike it doesnt itch!
Will too much bubbles seriously kill your fish? I mean really, does anyone have experience with this?

T

tizzo

The bubble thing...it's a theory.
Your picture looks to me like an old skeletal remains of an encrusting stony coral, no clue which one though...
Back to the bubble theory. The theory is that the air bubbles build up in a fishes system and collect behind the eye or in the bloodstream or even in the gills. That argument has never been settled, what HAS been established however, is that bubble are of absolutely NO benefit to your tank. They do not oxygenate the water, they reduce visability, and...well that's all.
Oxygen gets into your water through the waters surface. Which is why surface agitation is so important, and good flow to get that oxygen to each part of the tank.
HTH.

Thanks Tizzo, that actually does help. Every fish I have put in my tank has died. I have never heard of the bubble theory before; which might help to explain why they have died? All of my water parameters check out. I am taking my water to be tested by an lfs sometime tomorrow or this weekend and other than the bubbles I can think of nothing else that would have lead to their demise. I really appreciate everyones help, thanks all

Originally Posted by jcv237
hey,
where did you buy your rocks, just wondering

The one in the middle with great coralline I got from Noah's Ark in Front Royal. It's full of these neat tube worms which is exciting lol. The rest I bought from the Warrenton Pet Shop.

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Air bubbles will kill sponges and other corals too.
I really appreciate your help. I never knew that about the bubbles! I guess its good I posted a tank shot so that everyone could tell me that my hurricane is destructive! Lol thanks

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by whitey_028
Is it hard or soft? and definiately kill the bubbles before the bubbles kill your fish...
I have had bubbles in my tank for many years. I have a 110 with soft corals and fish. In fact, when I do a water change, I increase the bubbles for 24 hours. Never had a fish die from the bubbles. Just tried to take a pic of it and you can't really see them. But, it is one of those 6" wands.

Originally Posted by Tiberius
I have had bubbles in my tank for many years. I have a 110 with soft corals and fish. In fact, when I do a water change, I increase the bubbles for 24 hours. Never had a fish die from the bubbles. Just tried to take a pic of it and you can't really see them. But, it is one of those 6" wands.

That's very interesting. I did buy a wand for my tank but my mom took it and put it in her discus tank...
moms. There's a little aerator on my powerhead that you can screw shut or open and I usually keep it open; which is why my tank is a hurricane, lol. Can you post a pic of your tank?

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by eroticaquatica
That's very interesting. I did buy a wand for my tank but my mom took it and put it in her discus tank...
moms. There's a little aerator on my powerhead that you can screw shut or open and I usually keep it open; which is why my tank is a hurricane, lol. Can you post a pic of your tank?
I use the powerhead aerators when I do the water change for 24 hours. I don't have all of them going just 2 of them and not full force. I wish I had the $$$ to set up my 20 gallon tank for discus.
I tried to take a pic of the bubbles but it came out dark. I do have 5 separate pics of the tank. Can't seem to take a whole shot of it because it comes out dark. I need to use my regular camera. But, that will mean I get the pictures back when I take 24 shots! Even with these 5 shots you still can't see the bubbles but you can see the airline tubing in the last one!

I see...is that red coralline algae or cyano? Do you have the flash on when you take pics? I find they turn out better if you turn off the lights in the room and leave your tank lights on then turn your camera flash off you get better results. Just a suggestion

teresaq

if the thing on your rock is hard its an old skeleton, of soft sponge. the little white thing is a feather duster.
does the power head have an air hose attached. id so take it off, and push it under the water a little more. you want the flow, just not the bubbles,