What is this guys name??

big

OK all so he is a Firefish, but what specific Firefish one is he?? Not the Latin one... tanks all Warren

jc74

I was going to order one of those from here but I'm not sure if he'd get along with an orange firefish.

big

Thanks I could not remember it!!!
He had been in QT at our LFS for 3 weeks....... Too long for this old brain to remember,
now he is in his new home!! and only 19 bucks too!!

msez2u

They like to hang in groups of 2 or more so it should get along with your orange one. I have 3 different fire fish and they all get along great.

dinogeorge

Originally Posted by big
Thanks I could not remember it!!!
He had been in QT at our LFS for 3 weeks....... Too long for this old brain to remember,
now he is in his new home!! and only 19 bucks too!!

19 Bucks!!!! Oh you dog. You got a great price.
Good luck with him.

K

king_nothing_

the LFS near me has a tank with 5 regular firefish and 1 purple one, and they all school together. So I'm assuming they're ok with regular ones longterm. But if you don't want to risk it, I doubt anyone would blame you.

madtownman

I just got one of these today... They are incredible looking fish. Im wondering if te one that you have "sits" around alot. And it doesnt seem like he likes the current in the tank... any ideas or input?? Thanks!!

dogstar

Originally Posted by king_nothing_
longterm.
Thats the point...once they mature ...they seek a mate and want torerate others of the same gender...mature firefish sould be kept singely or in a mated pair...
also well known to jump from tanks....

big

Originally Posted by madtownman
I just got one of these today... They are incredible looking fish. Im wondering if te one that you have "sits" around alot. And it doesnt seem like he likes the current in the tank... any ideas or input?? Thanks!!

Sorry, just checked the thread. I have tons of flow and he does seem to stay in the front center area of lower flow. But he sure seems to be a nice small fish addition!!

madtownman

Thanks big.... Yes it is a beautiful fish. But he has already perished......For some reason. He was gulping during acclimation, and the LFS doesnt have any guarantees on saltwater fish. I am very dissapointed and kinda angry at the store.

sepulatian

Thanks big.... Yes it is a beautiful fish. But he has already perished......For some reason. He was gulping during acclimation, and the LFS doesnt have any guarantees on saltwater fish. I am very dissapointed and kinda angry at the store.
Most stores do not guarantee fish. How long did you acclimate him? How old is the tank?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by big
OK all so he is a Firefish, but what specific Firefish one is he?? Not the Latin one... tanks Nall Warren
Nemateleotris decora It is a purple firefish. A beautiful fish!! They are bold and should be the center of attention

big

Oh sorry
.... Mine is doing great here. Could not find hinm the other night.
Night vewing with a flaslight. Here he was hiding under a big Mushroom after dark!

One thing I on acc. is my LFS is only about .020 salt I am .025 I do drip for hours and hours and check both PH and salt during this time. Good Luck with the next one, give one another try! A really nice fish

trueclowns

yeah purple firefish. I had one but it was like in between the regular firefish and purple, it had purple and moreee red lol it was awesome
mine died last night when i was upgrading from 30 to 55 gallon....it was sooo
cause the water was too cold in the bucket i held him in and i noticed too late....geez
toilet heaven....

madtownman

T
thanks everybody!! My tank is only 4 weeks old, yet all parameters are very good.
I went back to the same LFS that i bought it at, and the manager gave me double my money back since i have bought everything from there.
So that made my day.

big

He sure is a nice fish to have. Here is a new shot today, I think even his color had improved!!

dogstar

Looks good...
Just a bit more info if you or others are intrested...
They actually are not gobies. They are in a different Family know as Microdesmidae that are commonly called dartfish or wormfish with one of the Genus being Nemateleotris that are commonly call Firefish.
True gobies are in the Family Gobiidae

Although both are in the same Suborder called Gobioidei

I know, Those darn scientist...
Other common names for your Purple Firefish are Decorated, Elegant, Queen and Royal Firefish