what is this?! (pic)

adee

There is alot of it on all the rocks, it is long enough to wave with the movement of the water too...

adee

lol is there perhaps any more information i can get on it.. is it just the beneficial algae, nothing to worry about. Is anything else going to grow on the rock by itself, is there anyway to know? Nothing to be sorry about.. im glad its nothing that is going to hurt the tank

jthomas0385

Looks like diatom algae to me, which is completely normal for a new tank and will probably last for about 6 months. After that time it will go away on it's own.. Is it also on your sand bed?

adee

nope, not in my sand bed at all... its only on the rock, there is one piece of rock that has alot of it and the other pieces only have some "hairs" like in the picture. The rock with the most actually has one piece that looks like a tiny feather duster or soemthing.... my macro setting wont get a decent pic of it.

alix2.0

i think that may just be a little detritus from adding sand to the tank. if im not mistaken, which i often am, the tank was just set up a few days ago. diatoms dont usually show up THAT fast, unless they were on the rock when it was added to the tank, which is likely. but i think she is referring to the little grassy pieces on the rock, which is some kind of algae.

adee

it is a brand new tank.. the rock was in the water at the LFS, I brought it right home and added it to the tank. im not referring to the green area on the rock but the strands of fiber/hair that stick up from the rock.Im not sure if its a tiny feather duster (is that possible) im brand new to marine tanks

snakeblitz33

It's not even worth worrying about. If you want a true identification, take a sample to your local marine biologist.