What is this stuff

zincoxide

I finally got my new 90g setup this weekend.
I put the sand in it today and filled it with water. I finished all the plumbing on it yesterday.
I didn't rinse the sand first because it is so fine. It is dead sand.
I put it in the bottom of the DT and in the bottom of the sump/fuge. I have not added my live rock yet and I will be getting a bag of live sand later to seed the dead sand. I'll put 1/3 the bag in the sump/fuge and the other 2/3's in the DT.
Anyways... Any you can see the pics below, the tank is VERY cloudy. I've taken the bio-balls out of the sump and put a baffle in. the sand bed is on the right hand side where the water comes in. Once it goes through the baffle (flow goes from right to left) it will then go into an empty area. This is where my protein skimmer will be set up once I'm done building it. It then flows out the left side through the pump and back into the tank.
Everything works great as far as the plumbing goes (except for a very small slow leak which I'm awaiting an answer on in the DIY section).
Anyways... On the top of the water there is a white like scum that is sitting there. It really isn't getting drawn down the two strainers for some reason.
I have floss sitting in the sump right now that I figure will take out most of this crap which I intend on changing once this gets cleared up.
What is the white scum, and how do I get rid of it??

hot883

It is just excess gunk that did not get rinsed off thoroughly. With the powerheads on and the skimmer, the water will clear up and the foam should dissappear.

salt_water

When the bag of sand says "Rinse Thoroughly", It means rinse it very well, until the "white foam" stops appearing. Then it should be added to the tank. Of course, I am assuming you didnt even bother rinsing it a little bit.

zincoxide

I never thought that I would have to read directions to sand!
No, as I mentioned in the original post, I did not rinse it.
Should I empty the tank and do it again, or just leave it and run the skimmer and powerheads??

aztec reef

just leave it. it's totally normal since you did'nt rinse.(nothing wrong with that when starting tank). just add live rock to seed sand for now. that sand in bag its not "LIVE" its just beneficial bacteria.

zincoxide

Are you talking about the sand that they sell at the LFS??
They sell 15lbs of what they call Live Sand. It is packaged in a plant but you can see that there is water in the bag.

salt_water

I would not worry about buying live sand. It will become live in the cycling process. I dont believe any live sand to be truly live after talking with someone and they told me its up to the LFS selling it to keep up on it. A lot of LFS sell it by the lb., you scoop out however much you need. I would not buy it or the sand in the bag that says LIVE with some water in it. Just get some sand and live rock and let it do its thing. Patience is key in this.