what is this white stuff?

pohtr

I have an algae problem that I'm working on. One of the things I do is to pick the algae off of the rocks. When I do it leaves a sort of dandruff. It is very unattractive and looks worse than the algea. Anyone know what it is?

pohtr

so no one knows? I was thinking maybe it was fine particles of sand kicked up by my clown. It's not gritty though.

michaeltx

its hair algae and more then likely what you are seeing is rock dust from the roots of the algae not a good algae and tuff to get rid of.
Mike

pohtr

Thanks for an answer.
Most of my algae is on a few select rocks & coral skeletons. Later this month I'm going to be adding some new LR and will take those pieces out and bleach them or something. (and rinse like crazy, of course). Meanwhile it's pretty gross looking.

b bauer

Originally Posted by pohtr
Thanks for an answer.
Most of my algae is on a few select rocks & coral skeletons. Later this month I'm going to be adding some new LR and will take those pieces out and bleach them or something. (and rinse like crazy, of course). Meanwhile it's pretty gross looking.
do not bleach at all just leave it out for a couple of weeks so it dies.you will get it on the rest of your rock until you find out why you have it

donald

No bleach Please!!!!!!!!! You will kill the good bacteria and then you have useless dead rock instead of live rock!

michaeltx

agreed NO BLEACH it will render the rock and everything on and in it dead but will also cause the rock to be unuseable!!
if you want to get rid of it and dont care about the life of the rock but want to preserve the bacteria you can put it in the dark for several weeks and scrub it occasionally so it will kill off the algae.
mike

pohtr

O.K., NO BLEACH!
So, keeping it in the dark and scrubbing it will kill the algae but not the good bacteria? And what about leaving it out in the air? If I do that wouldn't I have to recure it?
The algae is mostly only on a few pieces but there's white stuff on most everything else too. It's hard to tell if its the same white stuff or not. It sort of looks like sand dust, except on the algae it looks like dandruff. I noticed my Sally Lightfoot has white stuff too. Should I be worried?

b bauer

can you get a closer picture?and look in the disease thread and search for ick and see if that is what you might have.

glowplug

if you leave it out in the air it will kill everything and you wont need to cure it because it will be just like base rock, over time your other LR will recolonize the rock-without the algea

wingzfan

Why not get a good cleaning crew and let them take care of the algae and left over debris? Two for one... Worked wonders for me.

michaeltx

most clean up crew wont eat byropsis though which is what it looks like he has and is a bugger to get rid of.
Mike

michaeltx

missed that.
a good pic would be very helpful there are a number of things it could be, since its on the sally it kinda eleminates that its ich because inverts dont get ich,
I get dust on my stuff but the flow keeps it from settling on the rocks not sure if thats what it is but its a possibility.
Mike

michaeltx

Originally Posted by wingzfan
Byropsis...dang, another new term I have to look up...
hair algae in the common name of it. LOL
Mike

pohtr

Sorry I haven't respsonded recently but we were away on vacation (and nothing went wrong with the tank!!! yeah!!) None of the fish have any white stuff on them so I don't think it's ick. I doubt I can get a good pic of Sal the lightfoot but she just looks sort of dusty. Maybe that's all it is and she has it cause she doesn't move fast like the fish do.