What is this?

T

thomas712

Are you talking about the cynobacteria on the substrate? Thats not good.
How old is the tank?
What is your lighting?
Water paramiters?
Turnover rate?

sponge

The stuff on the crushed coral looks like red hair algae, if you can shift it around with your finger it probably is, my tank used to get it before I started using a RO system. I want to say that the company "Jungle Aquatics" has a phosphate filter sock and a little baggie of erithriomycin (sp) as a kit, it is a common outbreak, I paid like $19.95 for the kit and did use it on a reef system with no ill effects.

jjgl

My tank is 10 weeks old. I have 2 65 watt actinics and 2 65 watt daylights on for a total of 8 hours. All my readings are normal exept 1. My ph is always low (under 8) Im not sure about the turnover rate.

T

thomas712

This can be a normal outbreak for a 10 week old tank. If there are no corals at this point then you can reduce the lighting period, for a while
Also use only RO/DI for water changes and top offs.
ph low? Check calcium and alkalinity levels, also Magnesium if you can or have LFS test for it if they can.
Your turnover rate if fast enough can help prevent this from taking hold.
Calculate your return pump/s, powerheads, HOB fiters, canisters...etc.. to get the turnover rate. Take the total of pump output, - any head pressure, 90 degree angles and such then divide into your total volume of water. ie a 55 gallon tank with two Maxi jet 1200 - 295 gph/per PH would be 590 gallons per hour divided by 55 gallons would be 10.7272 gallons per hour. Thats a good minumum turnover tate of 10X the volume of water.
So what powerheads or other equipment do you have to move the water?
Thomas

jjgl

I have a rio 2100 return from my sump. I also have 2 powerheads a 270 and a 145(gph). I dont have a ro unit. I started this tank with tap water:confused: Then I bought a tap water filter. My last water change I ysed distilled. I do have 1 mushroom and some green eyed zoos in the tank.

T

thomas712

Rio 2100 = 692 gph at 0 head
Ph = 270
Ph = 145
Total is 1107 without subtracting the length of the return line.
(from the pump to the end of the return line how long is it and how many feet is it up?)
So on a 55 gallon tank this would mean about at 20x turnover rate. But I'll bet you can subtract at least 200-300 gph with 90 degree turns or head (vertical hight) pressure. This might bring you down to about a 14X turnover rate. I don't see this as a problem, so that looks good.
I just willing to bet that its the tap water and a natural phase for a new tank. Next water change I would do a 30% water change using RO/DI water if possible. I get it from Miejer for .29 cents per gallon. I use those 5 gal. water bottles.
Improper lighting can also cause cyno to happen. Any natural sunlight?
Thomas