What is this

quads4_lif

I have tried and tried to find out what this I think it is some type of Zoanthind but I am unsure. I was finally able to get a good pic since a very large snail knocked it off and it landed next to the glass.

psusocr1

i cant tell how big they are fromthat picture but it looks liek some brow button polyps to me.. but if they are small they could juast as well be zoos...

quads4_lif

They are mabey 1/4" in diam. I have had them for over a year I got them with some LR rubble and I have just had them under the cheap perfecto strip lighting that came with my old 55gal and now I have them under my MH and they have a greenish center and they glow green under my LED Nocturnal lights

krazekajin

I think they are zoos. I had some zoos or palys that hitchiked on some live rock and they never did much until I got MH then they exploded. I just fragged a huge section of them and traded for some SPS at my LFS.
Good find;

mpls man

i think there some kind of rock anemone, i have a lot in my tank, dont think there bad but they spread fast and smother your corals from growing, i've tried to get rid of them with joes juice, don't think there zoos, they do look the same.

quads4_lif

If a crab walks over them they shrink into the rock they dont leave a polyp like a zoa just like a big mat covering the rock

krazekajin

not to disagree with Puffer, but I would lean towards a gonoporia of some sort. I don't think they are anemones.

puffer32

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
not to disagree with Puffer, but I would lean towards a gonoporia of some sort. I don't think they are anemones.
You could be right, i forgot how gonaporia recede completely into the rock.

quads4_lif

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin

Ok that sounds like something you dont want :thinking:

quads4_lif

If it is indead gonoporia how do I really care for it. It has been in my tank for over 1yr. and has been doing really well. Now that I have it under the MH it doing awsome

krazekajin

Gonoporia is very hard to take care of. You can search this forum for tons of people who have had it only for it to die in a couple of months, myself included.
If you have had it for a year and it looks that good, then I say, you are doing something right. Don't change a thing.
Keep us posted on how things are going.