what is this?

puffer32

Looks like a feather duster, but never saw one that was red before :notsure: Is it in a tube or does it move around? If it moves around it could be a feather star, hope not cause they don't do well in home aquariums.

barchtruong

Originally Posted by autofreak44
ya im goin back to that lfs in like 2 weeks and im gonna ask him what it is and the price...
it will be gone by then.
It would be in my tank now if I see it at my local lfs.

fishyapol

please do some research on it before you buy it... i was going to get one and after i did some research i didnt.. they are pretty but very high maintnace and they only come out at night.. if you do see them at night they look like those aliens on war on the worlds when they walk around.. just saying,,, good luck if you do.. it is really fooken cool

autofreak44

Originally Posted by barchtruong
it will be gone by then.
It would be in my tank now if I see it at my local lfs.
i dono with his prices... hes got good stuff but also a steep price

autofreak44

Originally Posted by fishyapol
they are pretty but very high maintnace and they only come out at night.. if you do see them at night they look like those aliens on war on the worlds when they walk around.. just saying,,, good luck if you do.. it is really fooken cool
i dono, it was bright daylight in that tank when i took the pic, but i only watched it for like 2 miniutes :thinking:

reefkprz

its just a feather duster (a really hot looking one) they really dont care if its night or day if they are hungry they open if they are scared they close.

clown316

leave this one to the pros guys... lol.. its actually a feather star... from the class Crinoidea... basically its an underwater flower!!!!.. very dificult to care for in captivity.. likes to eat plankton .. hope this helps...

reefkprz

ITs not a feather star its a feather duster you can see how the base(center comes together) if there was less flow you caould see the mouth. I would bet cash that it has a tube under the crown. and the broken tips are signs of it being in too much flow. IT does look very similar to a red feather star but I dont believe it is. I have never seen on with solid white arms (not saying there isnt any but usually the white and red are striated or banded in a pattern)

clown316

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
ITs not a feather star its a feather duster you can see how the base(center comes together) if there was less flow you caould see the mouth. I would bet cash that it has a tube under the crown. and the broken tips are signs of it being in too much flow.
its def. a feather star..... they seem to form a base at the bottom as well.... there is a picture in the Conscientious Marine Aquarist ...

dogstar

I agree that its a Feather Star, Class: Crinoidea. Perhaps Oxycomanthus bennetti in a rare red form.