What is this??

fishgeek01

The fish is a damsel, a jewel damsel I beleive, the red is cyano do a search you will learn all about it, and how to treat it, there are many great posts about it, the third, looks to be another type of algae, not really sure where you wanted the eyes to go on that picture, but it could be a macro, meaning large leafed, a type of coralline, which has a calcium base, usually people like to have the pink and purple varieties, or it could be a form of mirco algae, in which case you would want to do away with it.

rbaldino

It all looks like various forms of algae. Your tank is fairly new, isn't it? This can be fairly normal. Wait and see what happens. If it doesn't clear up on it's own, increase your maintenance regimen, decrease lighting, add to your cleaner crew, etc.

dabudkrew

yeah i do water changes every week, it started a week and a half ago and it is a new tank, and as for lights i was told its not enough for what i have. any ideas for a cleaning crew??

garnet13aj

For future reference, cycling your tank with damsels is an old fashioned practiced that is currently considered cruel and unnecessary. If you have live rock (which you should) then you don't need to add live animals to cycle your tank.
As far as a cleaning crew goes, it depends on what size tank you have and what kind of fish/corals you plan on keeping. There are reef packages on the right of your screen which can give you a general idea. I like to keep a variety, because they all have their special skills which can add to a clean tank.

dabudkrew

WOW i had no idea on this my LFS said i needed this to eat all the bad bacteria. I have a 75 gallon set-up and just want some soft coral and a varitey of small fish, what are some good snails to get rid of this on rocks and glass?

rbaldino

Originally Posted by dabudkrew
wheres a good spot to place powerheads??
Really depends on the tank. I have a 29 gallon and have a Maxi-Jet 600 mounted in each corner, aimed slightly down and towards the front glass. Seems to work well for me.