what is this?

dreamer44

I found this growing on my lr, I only noticed it yesterday, it looks cool, but I dont know what it is.

thanks for any help!
Lori

trippkid

Can you get a clearer shot. It almost looks like some sort of SPS frag(baby), maybe a baby Acro or Pocillopora possibly. Whatever it is, good luck with it.

Matt

earlybird

Do you think it's a coral? Kinda looks like a picture I saw of a vermited snail. Really hard to see.

dreamer44

not sure if these are any better....but I guess its worth a try

my first thought from the pics Ive seen was acro...???
if it is,,,,do I have to do anything to care for it, or just do the same as I do for the hammer and zoa's??
thanks again,
Lori
oh yea, do I need to move the hammer away from it...or will it be ok ??

renogaw

i'd move it if you can.
that last picture reminds me of a sock puppet.
is this growth hard or soft and squishy?

dreamer44

Originally Posted by renogaw
i'd move it if you can.
that last picture reminds me of a sock puppet.
is this growth hard or soft and squishy?
LoL...sock puppet...

Ok, first off "I didn't touch it!" eeeewwww....lol
and second I will move the hammer then, and see what happens., Ill touch it if I have to, but I better not get stung or anything....

do you know what it might be??
thanks,
Lori

dreamer44

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Do you have a leather in your tank? Like a colt coral or something like that?
nope...but the tank has only been up since early aug. so could it have survived shipping and curing, only to come back....??
Lori

perfectdark

Yep quite possible... or a sponge, although there are so many types it would be hard to say which.
Does it respond to your lights...when they come on do polyups seem to come out or does it appear to get larger?

dreamer44

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Yep quite possible... or a sponge, although there are so many types it would be hard to say which.
Does it respond to your lights...when they come on do polyups seem to come out or does it appear to get larger?
I only noticed it last night when the moon lights were on, so Im not sure if it responds to the lights or not. It doesn't look any bigger than last night. its about 1/4 of an inch tall and then there is one more next to it that is like 1/8 of an inch tall...
if it changes I'll take another pic of it. wish I had a better camera....im going to go and mess with the settings on it and see if I can get a better pic now...will give me something to do for a bit anyway. Lol
Lori

trippkid

Whatever it is, just keep doing what your doing. You seem to be off to a good start. Good husbandry and patience is the key to success.

Matt

dreamer44

Ok,,,,I touched it!, it didnt bite me, but the Clown fish DID!! I couldnt believe it! I was like "WTH!!" damn that hurt!
anyway, its hard, whatever it is, it doesn't seem to respond to lights. I took more pics, but everytime I try to upload them into photobucket it sends me back to the sign in page....got frustrated yesterday and gave up, Im going to give it another shot and see what happens, if it works I'll post a couple more pics.
thanks for all the help and the nice comments!

will post new pics soon.
Lori

mscarpena

It is the base to a type of macro algae. Not sure what type, but I had that in my tank. It will stay brown grow quicly under high light and get some grape looking things on it. I think it's some kind of kelp, but not sure. I had so much growing I ripped all of mine out. Pretty cool though if you only have one or 2 peices of it. Sea urchin love the stuff so if you have one it will never grow.

dreamer44

Originally Posted by mscarpena
It is the base to a type of macro algae. Not sure what type, but I had that in my tank. It will stay brown grow quicly under high light and get some grape looking things on it. I think it's some kind of kelp, but not sure. I had so much growing I ripped all of mine out. Pretty cool though if you only have one or 2 peices of it. Sea urchin love the stuff so if you have one it will never grow.
yep, I think your right, my mexican turbo plowed over it and looks like its almost gone tonight.
If indeed it was algae, then Im sure I'll be glad its gone.
I think its safe to put my hammer back where it used to be., I think it liked it better before I moved it.
Thanks everyone for all of your help
Lori

trippkid

Holy crap, was I completely out of the ball park or what? Sorry about that. Glad your turbo took care of it for you. Good luck
Matt