What is this?

scsinet

How old is this tank?
Also, I'm curious as to why it's only on one side of the tank?
Tell me about those lights... does it have different lamps on the right and left or are the lamps long enough to run the whole length of the tank? Does sunlight fall on the right hand side at some point during the day?

gmann1139

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2701143
How old is this tank?
Also, I'm curious as to why it's only on one side of the tank?
Tell me about those lights... does it have different lamps on the right and left or are the lamps long enough to run the whole length of the tank? Does sunlight fall on the right hand side at some point during the day?
I didn't notice that the first time I looked at the pics. But now that I did:
Is the rock on the right from a different place than the left? There's a general color difference in the photo.
Is there a reason why the sand is an uneven as well?

spanko

I might be inclined to call it a nutrient dump from low flow to that area. Looks like the only power head is on the top left side.

aquaguy24

how old is the tank...once the silicates are gone..the brown algea should start to go away....how much flow do u have...looks like only 1 maxi jet...get another one for the other side...i had the same problem with my tank about a month ago...started on one side and moved on to the other...i just cut the light's out by 1 hour..and it started to go away...

tarrahsmom

The tank is almost 2 years old, it gets no sun. The bulbs on the left side are new, the right are 8 months old, came with the lights. Just a week ago i got a new filter Rena canister filter and a AquaC remora skimmer, up untill them I had 2 HOb filters and no skimmer. My nitrates are high and I cant get them down. My maroon clown will not stop flicking his tail in the sand. I think that is why it wont stay put.

spanko

You should replace the lights on the right side. Not saying this is the total answer, but it does contribute.

tarrahsmom

I have noticed that in the morning when I turn on the lights, it is almost gone. Then after the lights are on it seems to get darker as the day goes on. What do you think it is?

scsinet

Reverse the lamps. Put the ones on the right on the left and vice versa. See if the problem moves with the lights. I'm betting that we've found your issue. If these are PC lamps, then 8 months is past the usuable life and they need to be replaced. If they are T5s, you either have crap factory lamps, or it's just the imbalance in ages (generally you want to replace all lamps at once) that is causing the outbreak to favor one side.
Also, did you simply remove the HOB filters when you put the canister in place? If so, it could have disrupted your nitrogen cycle and caused ... well ... anything's possible... to happen. You generally want to phase in a new filter over time. If that's what you did, then I'd just wait the situation out.
Be sure that filter doesn't have gunk building up in it. Canister filters require regular cleaning lest they become nitrate factories that cause all sorts of problems... just like this.

tarrahsmom

i had this stuff before i changed the filter. I also left one of the hang on back one on for over a week along with the new filter. I will order some new bulbs and see what happens with them

tarrahsmom

This stuff is driving me nuts!! It is now getting on my rocks, and even starying to get on the other side of the tank. It is now all over my powerhead, and on the glass in theback of the tank!! I ordered a new bulb, (waiting on it to show up) HELP????? What is this evil crap and how can I make it go away?????