What is this?

I made a very amiture mistake I bought two fish and I did not know what they where.... yes I know very dumb but I think they are some kind of goby .... any ideas? thanks
they are both about 7" very nice looking fish and they where in a tank with a 2" maderin, 2- 2" damsels, a 6 " fox, and a 3" blenny so i think they are peace full i want to put them in my 125 DT right now they are in my 55 fowlri

jackri

I've seen them before but cannot remember the name of them

No idea of the care/temperment -- which of course remembing the name of them would help

yup olemiss is right that is an adult engineer goby, they get big and i hear they can get very destructive and destroy rockwork and stuff.

Originally Posted by OleMiss
http:///forum/post/2964326
engineer goby
+1
Looks like an adult fish, based on the vertical markings and size. As a juvenile, the markings are horizonal, running down the length of their body. It's a burrowing fish, so I hope your 125 DT has a sand bed rather than bare bottom or crushed coral.
I've never heard of them destroying rockwork directly, but I have heard of them making rocks shift around because they burrowed out the sand beneath them.

jackri

I was thinking that at first... but they really don't look much like the juvies which I'm used to seeing :)
I wouldn't say destructive... but then again they aren't "engineer" gobies for nothing

adee

very neat looking engineer, ive never seen an adult one... i can say the engineer was inadvertently responsible for killing two of my fish, the rocks shifted beneath its home in the sand and they got crushed.. i only ever see mine at night too which makes for unfun fish imo, perhaps the adults are out more.. congrats

I am going to have my 125 reef tank heavily stocked with coral, rocks, a good amount of fish etc will the very large gobys cause a problem?
and what do i feed them?
for the most part they only come out at night and when I get near the tank they hide :(

70gallonhex

That is a Convict Blenny.....I have had one for years.
It stays hiding under the rockwork and spits out the sand and makes his tunnels under my rocks, I have them propped up so he has room and they dont fall on top of him. Mine is about 6 inces long. They are black and light yellow color (almost a dingy white/yellow.