what is this?

S

saltman23

I've had this YT for about 7 years and he has always been healthy. He has had this scar on his upper fin for about a month but it hasent gotten any worse. Just curious if it's something to worry about. He has been eating and acting normal.

nicetry

Tough to tell from the pic. As long as you have not noticed any changes in size/color of the spot, leave it be. Watch for any redness as this would imply a bacterial infection.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from the fin disfigurement, this tang looks somewhat pale in the lower areas. Is he? What are you feeding this fish?

S

saltman23

Most of it is because of my camera. hes never had great color but isn't pail. He is on brown/green/purple algae, mysis shrimp and an emerald entre green mix.

steve102571

Check ph, salinity w/ refract, and amonia. I had a tang that looked like this and it ended up being too low of PH (7.8+/-)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would add some more quality meaty foods to this fish's diet. While tangs do need algae, they also need some protein in their diet. Also, start using zoecon with one meal a day. A dietary upgrade along with a quality supplement may resolve color and fading issues.