What is this??

This just appered one day and was hoping someone might know what it is and any info on it. It's the thing with the green center. Sorry the pic is a little fuzzy.
Thanks,
NewBe :)

michelle13

Looks like aptasia. They will take over a tank and are very aggressive. I would recommend removing it before it becomes a problem. You can do a search on the board for lots of info on ways to get rid of it.

Are there different kinds of Aptesia? Because this doesn't look like the Aptesia I'm acustom to. It is not clearish like Aptesia and has an intense green center.
Thanks,
NewBe

dfishh

ya probly just a polyp, button like evryone sed, it probly was just on the rock and u didnt notice it
DAVE

badasstang

Finally...I have tried taking pictures of mine in my tank every since I got them, but with no luck. They are ALL over my tank, spread quite quickly...but now slowing down. I asked as many people as I could talk to, and they said a polyp. Like said above, the only aptaisias I have ever seen are clearish

fishtanker

i started a thread a while back with the same question. mine came on a GSP rock. i believe its actually an anenome of some type. if you do a search for my name the thread should show up. it was only about 2 mos ago. here's a pic

michaeltx

fishtanker yours looks like a manjoano anemone. they can move and sting other corals and do multiply but not as quickly as apista. here is a picture of one that I have in my tank.
newreefer yours looks like a polyps of some sort there are many different colorations of them and shapes but doesnt look like an apista to me. but I have been known to be wrong.
one way to find out if its an apista is to touch it with something if it retracts all the way into the rock it MIGHT
be apista if it just closes up then its more than likely not and is some sort of polyps.
of course this is not always a deffinate way to ID though so dont go through touching things and if the disappear nuke him LOL.
Mike
here is the pic for fishtanker

jonthefb

i think its a little too frillly to be a button polyp, but then again a little discolored to be an aiptasia......fishtanker, that is definately a majano anemone in your pic, as Michael has pointed out....majanos do have a nasty little sting to them and reproduce but not as rapidly as aiptasia, however the bad thing is that nothing eats them, like pep shrimp do with aiptasia....the only way to kill them is by injecting them with kalkwasser! New BEReefer, it could very well be a majano that you have that is still a baby....id give it some time and see what happens....if it is nasty you can always kalk it later!
good luck
jon

jonthefb

if it is aiptasia or majano anemone, yes....this will be a good way of telling what it is because the GSP in the immediate area will remain closed and you will be able to see only the purple mat if it is an anemone!~
good luck
jon

fishtanker

i killed mine off a while ago, it was bothering the GSP's, i injected some liquid calcium. that killed it pretty quick. i did feed it once before i off'ed it. kinda cool thing but i like the GSPs better:)

michelle13

Well guess I was wrong:D When I bought my xenia it had a small thing on it's rock that looked like that and I was told it was aptasia.....maybe I should've asked around. Oh well!! Sorry!

Well I touched it last night when I got home and the whole thing went into the rock. Must be a majano anemone, I think it might be getting calciumed tonight.
Thanks everyone!!!!
:)
NewBe

johnl

I have the same exact thing in my tank i had one when i got live rock now i have 3 after 4-5 months on its own rock should i kill it its so pretty I have other corals