What is This?

kilbys4

I have a brownish, some lite, some dark, discoloration or growth on my LR,and also a brownish,almost looks like dirt on my CC base. The tank has been up over 2 weeks with only a Damsel in it. Any ideas of what this could be?

melissa v.

That is a normal alge growth(diatoms-or something along that spelling) where your tank is cycling, do you have a cleanup crew (crabs, shrimp etc.) if not go get some and they will help with it, it usually hangs around for about 2 week and then just disappears, do not worry everything is normal.
Melissa V.:D

kilbys4

How many crabs and shrimp would be ok? Its a 45 Gal corner tank, and could I add some snails also?
Thanks

melissa v.

I HAVE A 29 GALLON TANK AND I HAVE 10 SNAILS AND ABOUT 20 CRABS. AND I COULD USE A FEW MORE CRABS, SO I WOULD GET LIKE 1 CRAB PER GALLON OF WATER, I COULD BE WRONG ON THIS AND IF I AM, I AM SURE SOMEONE WILL CORRECT ME ON THIS.
MELISSA V.

slick

You can get clean up crews from this site and they are awsome. Just click on reef packages to your left.

timo

You may want to let this algae run it's coarse in the cycle process before you add things to clean it up. It's there for a purpose...to eat up whatever "toxin" that's a part of that process.

melissa v.

well i got mine before cycle was complete and didn't lose a single crab or snail. but you can choose to do whichever way you want to.:rolleyes:
Melissa V.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by melissa v.
That is a normal alge growth diatoms.
It usually hangs around for about 2 week and then just disappears, do not worry everything is normal.
Melissa V.:D

HA! I wish, and I bet ya TIM wishes the diatoms in his tank only lasted only 2 weeks.:( ......... Of course your milage varys but your answer is good Melissa V. just made me laugh.

E

elan

its been months and i still get diatoms.... but now, i am glad i have them.... what else are my snails going to eat???... If they compeletely went away, i would be afraid all my snails would starve..... and its sorta cool to see the lines my snails make when they eat away.