What is this?

It looks like green hair algae, it grows fairly fast and can cause problems if left alone. What are your phosphate-nitrate levels, an over abundance of one of these could be causing the algae to grow. Hair algae likes bright light so it could also be your photoperiod, you might have the lights on for too long. Check the phosphate/nitrate levels because more than likely one of these is causing the problem.

n2deep

This tank and Rock I got from a friend. He let the tank get away from him. This algae is very course and short. Like turf carpeting. I even took the rock out and scrubbed it and it would not come off.The phos and nitrates have always been very low(only two small fish) . I think the bulbs were old and was causing the wrong freq. for the tank so I replaced them . I was wondering if anybody had any luck with any fish or vert that would eat this tough stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

aarone

nah, dont go with a lawnmower blenny.
Just try to lower your phosphates with either macro algae, or or usig a phosphate sponge.
Often times, its difficult to get the blenny to eat the algae in your tank, even though that is what they feed on. And when it does eat the algae in your tank, It could starve. There are many other ways to conrtol this junk.
hair algae

n2deep

Phos are low and has not ever tested above .4. It is not hair algae it is very stiff and short and will not scrub off.

C

cowbuoy

is the red stuff algea as well?
I have a little of what I think is the red
mine is very short
almost looks like small (1/4 inch or less) hair on the floor after the barber cuts your hair
ie not standing up but rather pieces laying flat across each other haphazardly
good, bad, indifferent???
not a lot but just small patches here and there
doesn't seem to have done much since live rock intro but it was one of the first things I saw 2 months ago