What is too big for a first timer?

azeritis

Welcome to the board
There are so many things to consider here.... First things first. GET the consientious marine aquarist by Robert Fenner. Excelent book keep it always handy for referense.
Step 2
Decide on how much money you want to spend. OK. Then double that amount cause that is what you will actually end up paying if you are lucky!
On a serious not here, I will not advise on a tank size (although larger is more stable, it is harder to mess up) however, I would suggest smaller tank with lots of LR, and better equipment (filter, powerheads, heaters, skimmer).
If you try to spare the money on your first run, you will eventually pay more down the line by having to replace inadequate equipment when hell brakes loose. With that in mind I would choose the size of the tank (as you can infer a larger tank needs larger filters, heaters power heards etc).
In addition, the types of fish you want to keep will determine the size of tank you must get. For example, if you want to keep a clown trigger or a large angel a 75 is too small. There are books that suggest minimum requirement for species and this forum is a great place to get advice.
Finally try to understand the chemistry of a marine system, and realize the commitment these fish need by your side. A marine aquarium is neither nuclear science, nor does it require several hours per day maintenance. But it does require some commitment and some understanding in advance, if you do not want to waste time, money, effort, and fishes lives.
If these sound discouraging, I must tell you that the hours of relaxation and happiness that your tank will provide, will make up for all the effort that has to be put in it. Best thing I got into by far.

:D You all are great! Definitely some excellent advice and things to consider. Let me ask this: is 170-180g too big for a beginner? I've been searching on the net and found one close to my area that is a complete set-up. Tell me what you think. He wrote
<The pump is external and the wet dry is already drilled for the pump. There is also a 5 year warranty on the tank as long as it is on the stand. The lights are Power Compact HO lights and are 55/65 Kelvins or something. Yes the combo is new!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The pump and filter came from my other tank. If interested I have 4 extra large pacus in a friends tank that weigh in at 29,24,23.6, and 18 pounds each. They were to be the new recipients of the tank but it didnt work out. AND I HAVE A 175 OCEANIC BOW FRONT FOR SALE. IT IS NEW AND INCLUDES TANK WITH TWO PREDRILLED OVERFLOW BOXES AT EACH END, CANOPY, LIGHTS, PUMP, BIOWHEEL 175 WET-DRY FILTER. FILTER AND PUMP ARE USED BUT WORK EXCELLENT. I HAD THEM ON A 180 TANK. >
I just found it so feel free to tell me what you think and be honest :D I know it's putting a big fat smile on my face but I don't know what type of quality everything is and what I would need to change.
Thanks all!:)
Oceanic 110, I live on the west side Beardon area which makes the store off of Papermill my primary. I havn't been to the one off Broadway yet. Where are you at?