What is wrong with my colt coral (pic included)

jfarris

We bought this colt coral online at saltwaterfish.com a week ago tomorrow. When it came to us, it was a little shriveled but it opened up quite a bit after a few hours. Then, after about a day of being opened, it closed right back, and it doesn't appear to be melting like we have been told it would if it were dying. It just looks shriveled. I tried attaching a picture so you can see for yourself but the file is too large and I don't know how to fix it... What is wrong with this thing?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

jfarris

We have a 55 gallon tank, the substrate is live sand, with nine medium pieces of live rock on top of other pieces of base rock. Our tank has been running for about 2 months.
The coral we have in it are green mushrooms, green ricordea mushrooms, xenias, green star polyps, and the colt coral that does not look well, but it is not melting like people say they do when they are dying.
We also have 2 green chromis, a lawnmower blenny, a scooter blenny, scissortail goby, a cleaner shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, 6 turbo snails, about 10 - 15 hermit crabs mainly blue but some scarlet legged, and about 8 small snails.
We have a corallife light, that has 2 - 10,000k 65 watt bulbs, and 2 - actinic 65 watt bulbs.
We have 2 - maxijet 1200 powerheads, an emperor 400 & 280 filter, and a prizm protein skimmer.
If you need any other info let me know.

chrisarca

You have basicaiily the same exact set up as I have. I wouldnt worry just yet. Give it some time. I have to cut mine one a month because it grows so fast.

jfarris

Your tank is very impressive! How did you attach that picture? When I go to attach my file it says it's too big. How long has your tank been set up? So, if it were dying, do you know how I would know? And if it did, should I get it out immediately?
I thought of something after I posted this, we added our colt coral on Tuesday and then on Wednesday night we added strontium, molybdenum, iodine, liquid calcium and aragamight, (yes, we now know that that many chemicals should not be added at once, but rather staggered) but if that did harm the colt, do you think it will recover?
I really love the character that colt corals give the tank, I hope ours makes it!

chrisarca

My tank is 7 years old total(lots of changes though). Dont dose anything to your tank you dont test for. Colts are really easy to keep. Im no expert but do 10 gallon changes once a week with good RO and you will be fine. Stop adding all that crap to your tank!(no disrespect). Good salt already contains everything you need.

jfarris

Thanks for the advice, of course our local pet store recommended all "that crap" we are pretty new to all this, so we're just learning.
So, what do you feed your corals?
And, how did you attach that pic? It said my file was too large.